Help please. I need advice with training my chickens to get used to wearing a harness!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lightchick, Sep 4, 2014.

1. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I have put the harness on two of my chickens so far. Pumpkin (brown sex link) just walked weird at first, but then got used to it and was very good so I gave her lots of treats and took it off. I just put the harness on Pepsi my Black sex link and she was way worse then Pumpkin my brown sex link! I had it on her for awhile and she threw a TANTRUM! A big one too. It took me a little bit to get it on because she didn't want to hold still and then after I got it on she would hook her foot in the bottom part of the harness tripping her in the process. Then I tightened it and (it was a little loose) then she wouldn't walk forward! Have you ever seen a chicken walk backwards?! She would only walk backwards and if she did walk forwards she'd try to hook her feet in it again. Pretty soon she gave up walking altogether and decided to just lay there. I was offering treats this whole time. After that I gave her some treats and took it off. She then went into the coop and sulked. I think she's still in there. I really want her to get used to it, but at the same time I don't want her to start hating me. Can you help? Pepsi is usually the friendliest and will jump up on my lap. I offered bread, chicken scratch and oat meal. She did walk forwards a little bit.

2. OakHillFarm

OakHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    ? I had a chicken harness once and she did the same thing and how long ago did you do this

3. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Maybe 10 -15 minutes? Maybe more...

4. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sweetie my Australorp didn't even walk weird. She just fussed when I was putting it on and if I messed with it. So far Pepsi's the only one with a problem with it.

5. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    where did u get the harness?? I WANT ONE XD [​IMG]

6. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I just used the one my dog had. It works. Maybe a tiny bit big, but my chickens are only 18 weeks old so they aren't full grown.
    Cat harnesses work too.

7. Howlet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    mk lol i wanna be walking down the road with my hen and when i see my neighbor walking his pitbull ill be like [​IMG]

8. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Lol Make sure your neighbors dog doesn't eat the chicken! Pit bulls are cool.

9. Howlet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    XD he'd be like "dooode.... have you been drinking...." XD

10. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Lol I just put the harness on Pepsi again and left it on for maybe an hour. She still walks backwards. I think she thinks that if she walk backwards that it'll just slip off over her head!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by