HELP please! My buff orpington is sick AGAIN

I would finish the penicillin course and research effective treatments for capillary worms. I've also read the same thing about cecal worms, but with them you do have to worry about blackhead, but not as much in chickens as turkeys and peafowl.

-Kathy

I'm on the stupid iPad again, otherwise I'd search... Can someone do some searching for the effective dose of fenbendazole for capillary worms? I know that Valbazen will get them at .2ml per 2.2 pounds.

-Kathy
I did find in this link to treat for 5 days in a row to treat for Capillary worms. Its under treatment and control.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/helminthiasis/overview_of_helminthiasis_in_poultry.html

Edited:
Reread it, has dosage for Turkeys, would think its the same for chickens.

Last edited:
OK, So...

I gave her the second shot of penicillin today. It went MUCH better this time around, and the shot was correctly placed. It was nice and quick, and my poor girl barely noticed :)
Is the treatment with the antibiotic 4 or 5 days long? I think I read both here on this thread.

She keeps improving, she walked around and jumped on a couple things, also ate quite a bit. She had sardines, plain greek yogurt with quinoa, millet and sesame seeds, salad greens, her layer feed, a few scratch grains and mealworms!! Yay!!!

Her stools seem normal, nice and dry again and with urates on top. Aside from the few worms I found earlier, I didn't find any more. Her tail is up again and the vent is dry.
wee.gif

Also, her water has nutri-drench on it.

Tomorrow I'm going to Tractor Supply (I have to drive about 25 minutes) to get the liquid version of SafeGuard and start the 5 day course. She had the equine cream version today.

I'm not sure what she has at this point anymore, but I'll keep attacking the problem from all the fronts I can.

Am I leaving anything out?

Do I need to give anything else to the rest of the flock??

Thanks thanks thanks!

No need to get the liquid Safeguard if you already have enough of the paste, the dose is the same. 1ml of paste just happens to weigh one gram (yes, I weighed it).

1 gram of paste is 100mg
1 ml of liquid is 100 mg

So 1ml of paste = 1ml of liquid, both have 100mg

Kathy

Last edited:
This is something I found awhile ago, but I want to talk to my vet about it

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6868306/?i=5&from=/6743169/related
Efficacy of fenbendazole against nematodes of captive birds.

Authors

Lawrence K.
Journal

Vet Rec. 1983 Apr 30;112(18):433-4.
Affiliation
Abstract

Fenbendazole was used to treat nematode infestations (Ascaridia species and Capillaria species) in 230 birds of six orders and 38 different species. Using a single dose of 100 mg/kg bodyweight initial treatment eliminated parasitic nematodes from 221 birds. A further course of treatment at a dose rate of 30 mg/kg daily for seven days eliminated the infestation from the remaining nine birds.

Ok then. So... Safeguard for 4 more days... For worms.

Shots for 3 more days... To treat necrotic enteritis.

Does she need to be back on CORID for possible coccidosis??

If I start her on CORID, do I need to stop the vitamins?

I'm afraid it might be too much for my poor pullet.

There are those that will use antibiotics such as penicillin at the same time as Corid. I haven't used them. The vitamins can be used in the food so you would not have to put them in the water.

Back
Top Bottom