HELP PLEASE...my Khaki C. swallowed a nylon knee-high stocking!!!

daffyduck69

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Wollongong, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Last night she was happy chattering around the house, then went quiet so I went to check on her & she had just swallowed one of my knee-high stockings I had sitting in my shoes!! Of course panic stations, rang Vets after-hours number - $200 fee as opposed to standard $53 fee (couldn't afford the 200)...fed her up with worms/water to see if would help flush out, nothing...she seemed ok (though Mum was stressing) just slept most of the night til I put her out at 11pm. Seems ok this morning, roaming round back yard in rain & bought her in & now just sleeping again. WILL IT PASS THROUGH HER OR SHOULD I TAKE HER TO VET??? her crop seems to be quite full still so I'm kind of guessing it's still in there maybe??? I think I need to take her for x-rays?? Do they have laxatives that may help to flush it out?? should I avoid giving her food until get to vets?? (not open for another hour)
Thank you for any suggestions
sad.png

You need to take her to the vet NOW. You should have taken her last night when the vet could have been able to grab it with forceps and pull it out before it passed through to the gizzard. Once it's in the gizzard it can only be removed through surgery, and your $200 vet bill could now be in the thousands. You need to get her in ASAP or she will die. This is non-negotiable.

I'm still new to all this so a major lesson learned

Keep us posted, ok? I hope she makes it, the poor thing. :/ Birds are like kids, you turn your back for one moment and they do something like this! One time my cat ate my house key. Still don't know how...or more importantly, why. Thankfully they were able to grab it with an endoscope before it moved into the intestines. But this is just par for the course when you have any animal in your care, you gotta be able to handle emergencies like this.

Sorry for jumping down your throat, it's just this is a serious problem, and having worked in a vet's office I have seen how devastating things can be when an owner doesn't bring in their pet until it's too late!

Hi, she's at vets now, an aesthetic, xrays, endoscopy will be happening today & hopefully can get it that way, if not surgery, very expensive lesson!
1f61f.png
the vet pretty much said what you did Amykins, so don't be sorry....I'm just so so annoyed with myself for not going last night. I cried for my poor girl
1f602.png
will let you know later how she goes

Back
Top Bottom