1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP PLEASE...my Khaki C. swallowed a nylon knee-high stocking!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by daffyduck69, Feb 24, 2015.

1. daffyduck69

daffyduck69 Out Of The Brooder

Last night she was happy chattering around the house, then went quiet so I went to check on her & she had just swallowed one of my knee-high stockings I had sitting in my shoes!! Of course panic stations, rang Vets after-hours number - $200 fee as opposed to standard $53 fee (couldn't afford the 200)...fed her up with worms/water to see if would help flush out, nothing...she seemed ok (though Mum was stressing) just slept most of the night til I put her out at 11pm. Seems ok this morning, roaming round back yard in rain & bought her in & now just sleeping again. WILL IT PASS THROUGH HER OR SHOULD I TAKE HER TO VET??? her crop seems to be quite full still so I'm kind of guessing it's still in there maybe??? I think I need to take her for x-rays?? Do they have laxatives that may help to flush it out?? should I avoid giving her food until get to vets?? (not open for another hour)
    Thank you for any suggestions [​IMG]

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    I dont think she can pass it she might need surgery

3. daffyduck69

that's what I thought, it's too big for her to pass [​IMG] will deffo take her there when it opens, Thank you

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    You need to take her to the vet NOW. You should have taken her last night when the vet could have been able to grab it with forceps and pull it out before it passed through to the gizzard. Once it's in the gizzard it can only be removed through surgery, and your $200 vet bill could now be in the thousands. You need to get her in ASAP or she will die. This is non-negotiable.

1 person likes this.
  5. daffyduck69

ok thanks..[​IMG]

6. daffyduck69

I'm still new to all this so a major lesson learned

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please let us know what the vet says and prayers for full recovery, I wouldn't give her anything else to eat till you've seen the vet they usually have to be fasting before they can do surgery if they have to. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Keep us posted, ok? I hope she makes it, the poor thing. :/ Birds are like kids, you turn your back for one moment and they do something like this! One time my cat ate my house key. Still don't know how...or more importantly, why. Thankfully they were able to grab it with an endoscope before it moved into the intestines. But this is just par for the course when you have any animal in your care, you gotta be able to handle emergencies like this.

Sorry for jumping down your throat, it's just this is a serious problem, and having worked in a vet's office I have seen how devastating things can be when an owner doesn't bring in their pet until it's too late!

9. daffyduck69

Hi, she's at vets now, an aesthetic, xrays, endoscopy will be happening today & hopefully can get it that way, if not surgery, very expensive lesson! [​IMG] the vet pretty much said what you did Amykins, so don't be sorry....I'm just so so annoyed with myself for not going last night. I cried for my poor girl [​IMG] will let you know later how she goes

10. daffyduck69

That should be anesthetic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by