HELP PLEASE Sick Pullet

You can try offering her wet layer feed. Mine go nuts for the regular feed soaked in water for about 15 minutes. It turns into a squishy mush that they can eat and digest easily.
I would not try to force feed her the mush. Just offer it and let her decide if she wants to eat.

If her breath smells bad it could be sour crop. That is something I have yet to deal with. There are threads about it with much better information then I have. If you search this site for "sour crop" lots of information will be right there.

The pooping is a good sign....so long as it looks normal.

You can try offering her wet layer feed. Mine go nuts for the regular feed soaked in water for about 15 minutes. It turns into a squishy mush that they can eat and digest easily.
I would not try to force feed her the mush. Just offer it and let her decide if she wants to eat.

If her breath smells bad it could be sour crop. That is something I have yet to deal with. There are threads about it with much better information then I have. If you search this site for "sour crop" lots of information will be right there.

The pooping is a good sign....so long as it looks normal.

Thanks a lot.
She's not strong enough to eat by herself, but when I bring the seringe to her beak she does show interest in having it and swallows it. I mixed some layer feed with water and been giving her the liquid for a couple hours now.

I don't consider the poop normal, as it is liquid and theres a bit of white in it. I would of thought it's because of her liquid diet, any signs I should check for?

No bad smell, wich I guess is a good sign, so I don't think its sour crop..

Ok so I have spent my evening with her. Didn't think she would of been still alive.
Her egg was hanging beside her bum. She hadn't moved all day but was breathing.

I have ger seringe of oatmeal and water and, surprisingly she showed interest in it. when I would start pressing on the sernnge beside her beak she would start gulping it.
I've been doing so all evening. About 20-30CC given up to now. I just saw another poop. it liquid but no awful odor. Should I be looking for something?

I tried putting her upside down and massaging her crop but nothing comes out.

I'M still relived she takes what I give her and poops it on the other end. Altought she does not move, she is still very soft.

What do you recommend I should do?

thanks guys for all your help, I really have faith to save her

Quote: What do you mean by "her egg was hanging beside her bum?"

If her crop is empty, then don't try to putting her upside down. You can massage her in a downward motion if it is soothing to her.

Do you think she was egg bound?

What do you mean by "her egg was hanging beside her bum?"

If her crop is empty, then don't try to putting her upside down. You can massage her in a downward motion if it is soothing to her.

Do you think she was egg bound?

No, not at all. I just think her egg was already in the making and she got suddenly sick. her bum is all fine and the eggshell is soft.
She was vomiting this morning and her bum was clean as well.

When I got home I saw the soft eggshell beside her butt, since she hadn't moved, it had just came out and stayed there

Sorry, my PC crashed.

Do you feel any swelling or bloat in her abdomen?
Can you post a video or photo of her?
Has the vet tested any of her poop for cocci, worms or bacterial infection?

Do the best you can, keep her hydrated. You can offer her some hard boiled egg to see if she will eat. Also offer oyster shell free choice. Does she normally lay soft shelled egg?

Sorry, my PC crashed.

Do you feel any swelling or bloat in her abdomen?
Can you post a video or photo of her?
Has the vet tested any of her poop for cocci, worms or bacterial infection?

Do the best you can, keep her hydrated.  You can offer her some hard boiled egg to see if she will eat.  Also offer oyster shell free choice.  Does she normally lay soft shelled egg?

Thanks a lot for your assistance y all, I really appreciate it.
I just got up in the middle of the night to give her another 10 ml of diluted feed and water to keep her hydrated. Still not moving but is receptive when I bring the seringue up.

No she never layed a soft egg before, she is only laying since a couple of weeks. I don't know how to say if I feel bloat, I do not feel her crop is getting bigger when I feed her though. Where I live it's very hard to have a poultry vet, i could only have phone assistance but I've had more good counseling on here to be honest.
I have her GSE, any knowledge of? I've used it as a natural antibacterial antibiotique for years in dogs and heard it's good for chickens to. It's grapefruit seed extract. I've given her a couple drops since yesterday and she took it without saying a word. It's known to boost the immune system.. here's a video, I hope it works.

Thoughts?

Have you wormed your flock recently. We had one like your describing, very droopy. I happened to read worms do cause the symptoms. Wormed them all, Found the worms in one pile of poo. But it was another 3 days before she perked up.

Have you wormed your flock recently. We had one like your describing, very droopy. I happened to read worms do cause the symptoms. Wormed them all, Found the worms in one pile of poo. But it was another 3 days before she perked up.

It's hard to get some in Quebec as medication is always under prescription and there aren't much vets around. I was able to have some FenBendazole from my local dog vet. Do you recommend that I wait until she gets better?

thanks !

Last edited:
*** UPDATE ***
This morning she holds her head up and keeps her eyes open. To me it seems like a huge step, the fact that she is doing better instead of doing worse really reassures me.

I continue to give her diluted water + vitamins + layer feed 4 times dat with a seringe, but she takes it in her beak when I bring it up.

This morning in her poo, there was a like-like an egg ? Yesterday she played her normal egg but it was soft, but during the night she layed a second one. I think that is weird?
What do you think?

Should I deworm her today or wait until she gets better?

thanks!

Your new post came in while I was typing
smile.png

Looking at the photos, she had another soft shelled egg in her. Give her some poultry vitamins and calcium (crushed Tums, liquid calcium or oyster shell). Keep her hydrated.
Since she has only begun to lay it may straighten out, but it's possible she may develop reproductive problems.

Hopefully since she expelled this egg, she will begin to feel better.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom