HELP PLEASE Sick Pullet

kaperi

Chirping
Oct 3, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I have a 8 month old Ameraucana Mix Pullet, I love her very much. When I went to visit them this morning she was lethargic, head hanging down in her vomit. I took her instead near the heat, and gave her some water + oatmeal mix to rehydrate her.
She was completely fine yesterday and I know I take good care of my chickens. I only have 5. The other ones seemed fine.

Ive been talking to vets all day, some say it could be infection, but can't give me any antibiotics what soever, some tell me its maybe the heart of the lungs.. I dont know what to do to help her.

I've been looking for help all day.
Can someone help me?

I have a 8 month old Ameraucana Mix Pullet, I love her very much. When I went to visit them this morning she was lethargic, head hanging down in her vomit. I took her instead near the heat, and gave her some water + oatmeal mix to rehydrate her.
She was completely fine yesterday and I know I take good care of my chickens. I only have 5. The other ones seemed fine.

Ive been talking to vets all day, some say it could be infection, but can't give me any antibiotics what soever, some tell me its maybe the heart of the lungs.. I dont know what to do to help her.

I've been looking for help all day.
Can someone help me?
Gosh, very sorry to hear about that. My only experience with a heart issue happened to a Buff Orpington cockerel I had and his symptom was labored breathing and lethargic - he died within about an hour. I'm no expert, believe me, but it doesn't sound like a heart issue from my limited experience. The fact that she vomited might indicate something going on with her lungs but it could also be just a symptom of whatever the main issue is. Even if you could get antibiotics I'd be very hesitant to administer those unless you knew exactly what you were treating because they can do more harm than good. Personally I'd try giving her apple cider vinegar in water (1 tablespoon per gallon) or probiotics, and maybe try feeding her some yogurt if she'll eat it. If you have VetRx you could apply some of that under her wings which should help keep her airway clear.

I hope she improves. I'm sure you're doing the best you can for her.

Gosh, very sorry to hear about that. My only experience with a heart issue happened to a Buff Orpington cockerel I had and his symptom was labored breathing and lethargic - he died within about an hour. I'm no expert, believe me, but it doesn't sound like a heart issue from my limited experience. The fact that she vomited might indicate something going on with her lungs but it could also be just a symptom of whatever the main issue is. Even if you could get antibiotics I'd be very hesitant to administer those unless you knew exactly what you were treating because they can do more harm than good. Personally I'd try giving her apple cider vinegar in water (1 tablespoon per gallon) or probiotics, and maybe try feeding her some yogurt if she'll eat it. If you have VetRx you could apply some of that under her wings which should help keep her airway clear.

I hope she improves. I'm sure you're doing the best you can for her.

Thanks so much for your kind words. My eyes got watery while reading it.
I will know in an hour os so if she is still alive, as I had to leave her to get to work. I left her inside to keep her warmer.
She does not eat or drink by herself, I gave her some with a seringe this morning.
What does Apple Vinegar do to help in her case?

Thank alot

Is her crop empty, full, squishy, doughy?
Does her breath smell?
Any chance she got into anything moldy or rotten?
What does her poop look like?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

It's hard to know what is going on. A chicken may vomit if they have some type of crop issue.
When you get home, check her crop to see what it feels like. Keep her hydrated, but don't push food - she won't die without food for a day, but she does need liquids.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Thanks so much for your kind words. My eyes got watery while reading it.
I will know in an hour os so if she is still alive, as I had to leave her to get to work. I left her inside to keep her warmer.
She does not eat or drink by herself, I gave her some with a seringe this morning.
What does Apple Vinegar do to help in her case?

Thank alot
Apple Cider Vinegar is supposed to be a mild antiseptic that hinders harmful bacterial from what I've read. Initially I didn't think much of it until a breeder/mentor I know suggested it once for one of my birds that had a respiratory infection and she perked up quite a bit after putting it in her water. It's recommended only to use it in plastic water founts though due to being somewhat acidic.

Hopefully you can answer Wyorp Rock's post above regarding her crop and other things. I've been very lucky and haven't had a bird with crop issues (yet - "knock-knock") but I'm sure I'll have one sooner or later. There's a lot of experienced people on here so hopefully you can get a good diagnosis and best course of treatment.

Is her crop empty, full, squishy, doughy?
Does her breath smell?
Any chance she got into anything moldy or rotten?
What does her poop look like?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

It's hard to know what is going on. A chicken may vomit if they have some type of crop issue.
When you get home, check her crop to see what it feels like. Keep her hydrated, but don't push food - she won't die without food for a day, but she does need liquids.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

OMG this makes so much sense.
I couldn't think of a bacterial issue, she is so healthy, and young.
It would make sense, maybe she ate the pepper tip that I have them to eat and it blocked her crop..
I cant't believe no vet told me about this.

I really hope I can save her.
I did not check the crop this morning. but it is logical to think it would be this.

What do you recommend me doing???
thanks so much, I hope she didn't pass away from this ..

OMG this makes so much sense.
I couldn't think of a bacterial issue, she is so healthy, and young.
It would make sense, maybe she ate the pepper tip that I have them to eat and it blocked her crop..
I cant't believe no vet told me about this.

I really hope I can save her.
I did not check the crop this morning. but it is logical to think it would be this.

What do you recommend me doing??? 
thanks so much, I hope she didn't pass away from this .. 

She is not dead! But usine far from it either. Can I have someone's assistance to help me out?

CROP seems empty.
What should I do?

I am glad she is hanging in there. Hopefully still hanging in.

When getting the apple cider vinegar get the unpasturized. Sold "with mother" is what you are looking for. Braggs is the most readily available.

It does sound like a crop issue to me as well.

I wish I could be of more help.
Sending well wishes to your young hen.

Ok so I have spent my evening with her. Didn't think she would of been still alive.
Her egg was hanging beside her bum. She hadn't moved all day but was breathing.

I have ger seringe of oatmeal and water and, surprisingly she showed interest in it. when I would start pressing on the sernnge beside her beak she would start gulping it.
I've been doing so all evening. About 20-30CC given up to now. I just saw another poop. it liquid but no awful odor. Should I be looking for something?

I tried putting her upside down and massaging her crop but nothing comes out.

I'M still relived she takes what I give her and poops it on the other end. Altought she does not move, she is still very soft.

What do you recommend I should do?

thanks guys for all your help, I really have faith to save her

Back
Top Bottom