HELP!! PLEASE. Something stuck in hen; quite possibly an egg? WHAT TO DO

Pardon me, I am jumping in as an interested observer. @Lauren and/or @Eggcessive, would it do any harm to give this hen part or all of a Tums to help her push the egg out? I may be mistaken, but it seems I have seen that recommended in the past on other threads to help push out a stuck or broken egg? If this is bad idea, could you please explain why, I am here to learn. Thank you. To OP, I wish your hen well.

I’m not sure about shock as much as her getting really sick, and more problems stacking on top of each other. That’s not to say her going into shock can’t happen.
Okay. I will try to see if I can stick a finger in there tomorrow to see if I cannot help unload the egg. How deep is too deep? How did this work out for Gerty when you were dealing with her? Thank you for your consistent communication. Much appreciated, Lauren.

Pardon me, I am jumping in as an interested observer. @Lauren and/or @Eggcessive, would it do any harm to give this hen part or all of a Tums to help her push the egg out? I may be mistaken, but it seems I have seen that recommended in the past on other threads to help push out a stuck or broken egg? If this is bad idea, could you please explain why, I am here to learn. Thank you. To OP, I wish your hen well.

Yes, a Tums can be used as a boost of calcium to help with the egg. Only thing is some people don’t want all the extra chemicals and ingredients they put in tums. In this situation, I wouldnt worry about the chemicals, I would just help my hen! Crushed up in yogurt can work. Also, oyster shells or crushed chicken shells work too for calcium.
Good luck getting a sick hen to eat it though :/

Okay. I will try to see if I can stick a finger in there tomorrow to see if I cannot help unload the egg. How deep is too deep? How did this work out for Gerty when you were dealing with her? Thank you for your consistent communication. Much appreciated, Lauren.

For Gerty, I put on a glove and while she was soaking, I just went for it. I would say don’t be worried about going “too far”, you should be just fine with just your fingers.

And no problem, I know how stressful it can be when your unsure what to do

Did you get it out? Just reading this as one of my gals looked sick yesterday so I brought her in to the house. I gave her the bath, crushed tums and crushed people calcium. Electrolytes and antibiotics in her water. She was drinking last night but this morning, nothing. A little yellow and green poop came out and some egg white. She was going down hill fast so I got out the KY gel, leftover from a previous egg bound hen and slapped on a glove. Upon feeling around in her but, it felt like it was plugged. I took some mineral oil and squirted some into the but and then felt again. This time a whole lot of egg yolk came out and I could feel a broken soft shell. I then squirted cool water into her and more egg cane out. The shell, I think I pushed it in so now I can’t find it.... anyway, I also sat with her while looking for info on here and she started moving around and talking softly. Aha! She’s feeling better. Well, to make a long story longer, she wanted out of the bathroom and back to the coop. I was in the kitchen when I heard all this noise coming from the bathroom and upon checking, she had pooped on the counter, one of those stinky Cecal poops and over turned her water and food. It was 8 hours later and she was much better. I brought her back to the coop, she jumped into a nest and went to sleep. She’s still sleeping. I guess I took a lot out of her, poor thing was exhausted. So if you haven’t done it yet, lube up a gloved finger and gently go in a circular motion and you will probably pop that puppy right out of there. If not, you might have to get a little aggressive and play with it and hook your finger to pull it out. Just do it. It’s either save her life and make you both uncomfortable for a bit or she will probably die from infection. Green poop is not good unless you feed them a ton of greens. Oh, and I gave her a bit of liquid Advil. Dipped her beak into some in the cap. I think that helped a bit. Good luck, I was nervous too but so full of myself when she started to recover. lol. Roy

Did you get it out? Just reading this as one of my gals looked sick yesterday so I brought her in to the house. I gave her the bath, crushed tums and crushed people calcium. Electrolytes and antibiotics in her water. She was drinking last night but this morning, nothing. A little yellow and green poop came out and some egg white. She was going down hill fast so I got out the KY gel, leftover from a previous egg bound hen and slapped on a glove. Upon feeling around in her but, it felt like it was plugged. I took some mineral oil and squirted some into the but and then felt again. This time a whole lot of egg yolk came out and I could feel a broken soft shell. I then squirted cool water into her and more egg cane out. The shell, I think I pushed it in so now I can’t find it.... anyway, I also sat with her while looking for info on here and she started moving around and talking softly. Aha! She’s feeling better. Well, to make a long story longer, she wanted out of the bathroom and back to the coop. I was in the kitchen when I heard all this noise coming from the bathroom and upon checking, she had pooped on the counter, one of those stinky Cecal poops and over turned her water and food. It was 8 hours later and she was much better. I brought her back to the coop, she jumped into a nest and went to sleep. She’s still sleeping. I guess I took a lot out of her, poor thing was exhausted. So if you haven’t done it yet, lube up a gloved finger and gently go in a circular motion and you will probably pop that puppy right out of there. If not, you might have to get a little aggressive and play with it and hook your finger to pull it out. Just do it. It’s either save her life and make you both uncomfortable for a bit or she will probably die from infection. Green poop is not good unless you feed them a ton of greens. Oh, and I gave her a bit of liquid Advil. Dipped her beak into some in the cap. I think that helped a bit. Good luck, I was nervous too but so full of myself when she started to recover. lol. Roy
No. Not yet. It is dark out now. (Inching closer to 1 am right now.) Do you think it best to do it now or wait until there is light? I can't imagine your hen sitting through this like nothing. Did you have someone hold her while you probed around? Could I use vaseline and/or oil or is it best to use a lubricant like KY? Thank you for the timely response.

UPDATE (Sun; March 29): Hopefully these shots of her butt work better in determining what exactly is up. Please advise!

Attachments

• 20200329_083026.jpg
    20200329_083026.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200329_083030.jpg
    20200329_083030.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200329_083033.jpg
    20200329_083033.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom