HELP!! PLEASE. Something stuck in hen; quite possibly an egg? WHAT TO DO

Is she passing droppings? If so, she isn’t eggbound. You can insert a finger into her vent an inch or two, the feel for any material just inside the vent. I do not recommend flushing the vent with anything, since you can flush bacteria up into the oviduct. I would continue soaking her vent in a shallow warm bath twice a day to clean it, and then apply a spray or plain Neosporin. Looking back through pictures, she may have been pecked around her vent, which created the wound and the feather loss. I don’t think she needs calcium or Tums if she is passing droppings.

Is she passing droppings? If so, she isn’t eggbound. You can insert a finger into her vent an inch or two, the feel for any material just inside the vent. I do not recommend flushing the vent with anything, since you can flush bacteria up into the oviduct. I would continue soaking her vent in a shallow warm bath twice a day to clean it, and then apply a spray or plain Neosporin. Looking back through pictures, she may have been pecked around her vent, which created the wound and the feather loss. I don’t think she needs calcium or Tums if she is passing droppings.

So I tried feeling around to see if I could get whatever is in her to come out and she bled a little. I didn't want to probe further so I left her as is. The feather loss was due to me cutting them off for a clearer view of her vent. She is passing droppings. Very responsive. Walking around. Making noises. Should I let her out to run with the flock if I coat her wounds in SWAT fly repellant ointment?

Attachments

• 15854870024985178140566298234302.jpg
    15854870024985178140566298234302.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 10
15854875755748058803460624342016.jpg

Doña is walking around; fluffing up her feathers. Really sleepy more than not. (Maybe a lack of adequate sleep as she's got this issue to deal with. Poor baby.) I'm worried that when I tried to take the egg out (if that's what it is), I may have ruptured something because of the blood but than again, I am also worried I may not have done enough to get the egg out. Any ideas? Her comb was also tinged a blue at the corners yesterday but it's now back to normal.

I think the red circle is the vent. Don’t place her back in the flock, since they may peck at her wounds. Is there any way to fence her off on the other side of the chicken fence, so that she can hang around, but not be touched?

I think there may be a cyst inside her vent. Cancer is very common in hens, and it could be something else. I would just try to concentrate on getting her vent and wound to heal, by soaking and using wound care.

I think the red circle is the vent. Don’t place her back in the flock, since they may peck at her wounds. Is there any way to fence her off on the other side of the chicken fence, so that she can hang around, but not be touched?

I think there may be a cyst inside her vent. Cancer is very common in hens, and it could be something else. I would just try to concentrate on getting her vent and wound to heal, by soaking and using wound care.

Unfortunately, no. Hoping to take her outside and keep an eye on her before her bath. She's been so long without sun and walking around that I begin to worry for her. I wouldn't want her to be depressed. Wound care being the aforementioned hibiclens, correct? I have been lubricating well with triple antibiotic gel and olive oil for the time being. I hear coconut is antimicrobial, as well?

The antibiotic ointment or coconut oil is fine after cleaning. Do you have a old playpen or a wire dog crate that you can set her in, in the chicken yard?

Is it alright to apply SWAT directly on her wound or should I do it around the edges? I want to let her play outside but what with the warm weather lately, there's the fear that a fly will hop on into her anew. I'd like to prevent this. As for the aforementioned solutions, unfortunately I have neither. I'll stick around her at a safe distance while she traverses the land.

Back
Top Bottom