help please with dosage of Penicillin for rooster fight wounds

Harry Rooster, i am sorryfor your loss. Please don't let the Negative Nellies on this site make you even more miserable. Some of us are on this type of thread to try to help people that are having problems that they can't handle on their own. And some people just seem to stalk this type of thread....... I learned a long time ago that not everyone is perfect....... In case you don't know, there is a 'block button' that comes in very handy if there is a site member that you just don't care to hear from again. Use it! I do! Best wishes

In this instance I am responsible in trying to provide proper care and insight. My post stand on their own. If you wish to bury your heads in collective ignorance, then that is your choice, but at least try to consider the well being of your pets. Sometimes advice does not come across as pleasant, especially when a pet is involved. If you note, my advice was all positive.

Sincerely, Negative Nellie

I have games and non-games. Management approaches are very different. Occasionally production / ornamental roosters will commit to death matches. With games it is the rule. I can keep multiple adult male non-games together and often more is better than a small number greater than one. With games, only one.

No difference at all with "management". A rooster is a rooster. Don't keep roosters of any breed together, or eventually one will be injured or die. That is reality. Some people like to tempt fate. Perhaps if the fate was theirs instead of the chicken, they'd think twice about it.

No difference at all with "management". A rooster is a rooster. Don't keep roosters of any breed together, or eventually one will be injured or die. That is reality. Some people like to tempt fate. Perhaps if the fate was theirs instead of the chicken, they'd think twice about it.

You are simply representing an extreme view. I would expect such from someone only versed in gamefowl which I do not think you are. Many in both the backyard and commercial setting keep multiple adult males together and usually long-term. There are times when multiple male social structure is not viable but with domestic non-games that is far from the rule.

Quote: I have one sitting in a hospital cage right now that almost died a few days ago from fighting. He's 7 or 8 years old and has decided to start fighting with much younger and bigger birds.
idunno.gif

-Kathy

Last edited:
You are simply representing an extreme view. I would expect such from someone only versed in gamefowl which I do not think you are. Many in both the backyard and commercial setting keep multiple adult males together and usually long-term. There are times when multiple male social structure is not viable but with domestic non-games that is far from the rule.
It is a rule of nature, and yes, nature is often extreme. The same people who encourage keeping roosters together on the forum likely don't have the gumption to post in the Emergencies/Diseases section as to why their rooster is injured. The ones who believed their rooster egalitarianism end up posting here. Numerous posts exist to prove it. I won't argue that point further. It speaks for itself.

I have one sitting in a hospital cage right now that almost died a few days ago from fighting. He's 7 or 8 years old and has decided to start fighting with much younger and bigger birds. :idunno

-Kathy

I have close to 50, most confined individually at all times. A minority are allowed to run during production season free-range with hens. Groups are kept separate. In time several with both management systems will meet if not exceed your bird's age as they have in the past.

Also consider you old bird did not make a decision, rather it was a younger male that did not back down.

In the end, the OP will see my approach is actually closer to what most backyard keepers of poultry realize. Control is applied but not too much where improper control puts birds in harms way. You must take into account genetics and the resources the birds have to play themselves out. Minimize stress is one of the objectives.

Quote: Seven acres, lots of hens, plenty of food. This old rooster picked fights with at least three different roosters in two days. He's almost ready to go back out, but will be put into a cage with a hen or two. No more free ranging for him.

-Kathy

So you don't have roosters together.

Groups kept separate have multiple adult males able to fully interact with hens present. Only behavior separates them, no pens or fences. Pecking order is evident most of time although harems with discrete yet contiguous territories also realized annually. Some strife each year but not requiring medical attention. We have acreage with complex habitat making all sorts of free-range keeping possible.

I have numerous postings and multiple threads to this effect. Behavior of chickens is very much of interest to me and this is not a fly-by-night venture. Look up the threads and you might learn a few things.

Back
Top Bottom