help please with dosage of Penicillin for rooster fight wounds

I have 4 silkie roosters that have been together for years with never any issues,they will chase each other,but there has never been any bloodshed nor any wounds,so yes it is possible depending on breed to keep roosters together.

My orpington boys on the other hand i would not keep together,even though they were hatched together they will still fight,so these bad boys are kept separate to prevent any injuries.

All my birds are confined to pens for their own protection,but i do have several feeding/water stations for my roosters to prevent any bird from not receiving enough,especially one silkie rooster that has been frail since hatch.

I had 2 silkie roos and one hen together for years. Never a problem.

I've had roosters before in the same flock twice in 7 years. Not much. I think each situation is different. I think a good situation can change at any moment.

I had 2 silkie roos and one hen together for years. Never a problem.

I've had roosters before in the same flock twice in 7 years. Not much. I think each situation is different. I think a good situation can change at any moment.

I never had Silkies. In fact I still have to convince myself they are chickens and not some docile, fluffy alien from outer space. They may be an exception to the rule. I've had Rocks, Dominiques, Wyandottes, Gamefowl, Marans, Leghorns, etc., and none of the roosters of those breeds would tolerate another rooster around their flock of hens. You are right. Each situation is different, and it can change at any moment since the nature of the rooster is to establish dominance, and fight to maintain it. I believe in preventing problems rather than promoting them. It would be presumptuous of me to think I could change that behavior, so I let the rooster be a rooster, respect it, work with it, and provide for it.

Last edited:
So then apparently, the gamefowl rooster is a more aggressive of the rooster breeds? I know that I have an Australorp, that we got from some old people what didn't want their flock anymore and wanted someone to take them. He was the only rooster and 3 RIR, 2 Dominique or Barred Rock, I don't know the difference and 1 EE. We lost 2 RIR and 1 Dominique and the other one I brought into the shop as she was crippled and the others were attacking her, and then the EE got gone also, so now only have 1 RIR and the rooster left as my old girl died just the other day. The 2 Dominiques were old hens but the RIR and EE seemed not to be all that old. Anyway that rooster wouldn't even let anyone come in the pen he would chase and try to attack people. I had to take a rake or broom in there with me just to change their water or feed them or do anything and always had to watch my back when going in there. Since we've moved him to another pen by himself he still will jump up at you when you walk by. He is very mean! He's been like that since we got him and no matter what I do, he is still mean! He is huge too, so I would hate to be the rooster or hen that he got on! Are they normally mean like that, or do you think it's just him and maybe how he might have been treated before we got him, since I don't know anything about them.

So then apparently, the gamefowl rooster is a more aggressive of the rooster breeds? I know that I have an Australorp, that we got from some old people what didn't want their flock anymore and wanted someone to take them. He was the only rooster and 3 RIR, 2 Dominique or Barred Rock, I don't know the difference and 1 EE. We lost 2 RIR and 1 Dominique and the other one I brought into the shop as she was crippled and the others were attacking her, and then the EE got gone also, so now only have 1 RIR and the rooster left as my old girl died just the other day. The 2 Dominiques were old hens but the RIR and EE seemed not to be all that old. Anyway that rooster wouldn't even let anyone come in the pen he would chase and try to attack people. I had to take a rake or broom in there with me just to change their water or feed them or do anything and always had to watch my back when going in there. Since we've moved him to another pen by himself he still will jump up at you when you walk by. He is very mean! He's been like that since we got him and no matter what I do, he is still mean! He is huge too, so I would hate to be the rooster or hen that he got on! Are they normally mean like that, or do you think it's just him and maybe how he might have been treated before we got him, since I don't know anything about them.

I have a California Gray rooster that is every bit as aggressive as a Gamecock I had. I don't mind it because he is good to his hens. I will pick him up when he attacks me and it settles him down for a few days. Like all roosters I've had, I prefer to keep the spurs short and filed. I can handle them without getting cut and hens don't get cut during mating. They still pack a punch when they hit you though. I find it humorous though I always take caution with other people.

Australorps are a good sized chicken, so you have your hands full, lol. Handling the rooster more often can change behavior. Oil his legs (they like to get legs massaged), feathers, rub a little Vet-RX on the waddles, check him over for mites/lice, and he'll have to become accustomed to it. Don't give him a choice. I don't let mine determine where I go. I won't cause him to fight, but will stand my ground and reach toward him if he gets pushy. They don't like hands coming at them from the top, and generally move away. That is what you want. Never stoop down to their level with your face for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Oooh! Good advise! I certainly will not EVER bend down where he could get to my face. He is not playing at all! When I had to treat him for lice once my husband and I had to get our gear on and go out at night while he was on roost and he had to hold him while I did the treatments to him. Thankfully it worked! He was none too happy about it but he didn't wiggle around too much. Just glad I had his help to hold him. No way could I have ever done that by myself even at night. He's probably really peed off now that he is in a pen by himself and has no ladies right now, He was a maniac and was loving my poor Red Riding Hood RIR to death, had to remove him since she would stay in her dust hole under the chicken house where he couldn't get to her, most of the time. He is huge and much bigger than her. I would like to have some of those hens though, I have 2 that are from him and the EE that I had that got eaten in the pen. They look mostly like him and are solid black with the green iridescent feathers and fat and pretty big, but have the puffy cheeks like their mother the EE, she was solid white, and they are both solid black with 1 tiny white feather on their necks. LOL They lay bluish brown eggs, not a really pretty color for an egg! :/ I've never thought about having to file any rooster spurs, don't quite know how you would go about doing that, seems like an impossible chore to me! UGH!!!!

TO avoid having to handle individual birds for treatment of lice with caustic chemicals, I provide a dust bathing location that is in full sun between the hour of 1000 and 1400. Particle size of the "dust" seems important. I like it to represent what is best described as a silt loam. Additionally the birds seem to prefer lots of organic matter as that provided by something like potting soil and / or charcoal like that remaining where trees stumps have been burned. My birds take a communal approach to dust bathing where everyone does it at the same time and first bird to find suitable site produces a sound directing others to follow suite. The result is very good control over external parasites. Problems my birds have with lice / mites only evident when suitable dusting sites are not available or where bird densities are high and lice have protected refuges when separated from original host, They also consume fair amounts of charcoal like many herbivores do apparently to detoxify something in a free-range forage based diet.

The use of the term aggression with respect to gamecocks is not best, although it is appropriate with birds like California Grays. I have experience with both and crossed involving both. California grays will attack just about anything, especially as it related to mating opportunities. They are also prone to cover / mate many times each day which can prove damaging to hens when male: female ratio is too low. With my games it is no problem at all to have a one to one ratio with respect to adults and yet see no damage to hen's feathers. Additionally the California Grays aggression tendencies to to interfere with potential paternal behaviors where overriding interest in mating stressed brooding hens and puts smaller chicks at risk of being trampled. Gamecocks on the other hand can be doting fathers (see link 1 below) and in my experience are the most trustworthy you can have around people (see link 2).

Link 1 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/882368/what-to-look-for-in-a-broody-rooster

Link 2 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407880/ambassadors-for-the-farm

The gamerooster that was initial concern of this thread differs markedly from most domestic breeds, especially those selected to perform in a hatchery setting. The complexity of their social skills and their gameness (gameness does not equal aggression) requires a different husbandry approach than used for poultry, especially with respect to males. Failure to make adjustments can result in unfortunate outcomes.

ney to censorship

Last edited:
Oooh! Good advise! I certainly will not EVER bend down where he could get to my face. He is not playing at all! When I had to treat him for lice once my husband and I had to get our gear on and go out at night while he was on roost and he had to hold him while I did the treatments to him. Thankfully it worked! He was none too happy about it but he didn't wiggle around too much. Just glad I had his help to hold him. No way could I have ever done that by myself even at night. He's probably really peed off now that he is in a pen by himself and has no ladies right now, He was a maniac and was loving my poor Red Riding Hood RIR to death, had to remove him since she would stay in her dust hole under the chicken house where he couldn't get to her, most of the time. He is huge and much bigger than her. I would like to have some of those hens though, I have 2 that are from him and the EE that I had that got eaten in the pen. They look mostly like him and are solid black with the green iridescent feathers and fat and pretty big, but have the puffy cheeks like their mother the EE, she was solid white, and they are both solid black with 1 tiny white feather on their necks. LOL They lay bluish brown eggs, not a really pretty color for an egg! :/ I've never thought about having to file any rooster spurs, don't quite know how you would go about doing that, seems like an impossible chore to me! UGH!!!!

Like many things, you do it enough times it becomes an easy task. You would need help the first time. Use of large dog nail clippers like the Miller's Forge brand are generally good for spurs and nails on large birds. An emery board, steel dog groomer's file, or even a Dremel with a nail bit works, just be careful. Have some blood stop powder, chalk, or corn starch by your side when doing it in case you get too close to the quick of a nail or spur. The "quick" on a bird is that main vain running through the core of the nail or spur. With periodic cutting and filing of the nail or spur, the vain recedes with it over time.The foot must be held in a comfortable position, and not allowed to move during the process. A strong jerk will break the spur at the base, and you don't want that. With a Dremel or file, buff the end of the cut spur so it is flat or round and smooth. Healthy chickens naturally wear toe nails down by being active foragers, and rarely need cutting

A rooster needs hens or he will become more agitated. I don't like having any less than 10 hens with a young virile rooster, and they must be of proportionate size for an Australorp rooster. Too large of a rooster will injure or kill a hen. Of course, I recommend hens of the same breed and plenty of space. Even so, roosters will have their favorites, and that may need management if one hen is bearing the brunt of most mating. You'll see missing feathers on the back from the rooster's breast bone rubbing from prolonged mounting. So long as the skin doesn't become sore and irritated, it is alright. That is also another reason to keep nails and spurs filed smooth, as it can cut a hen.

There's a big difference between standing your ground with a rooster and encouraging him to fight as you may know. This is why it always annoyed me to see people tease a rooster, or act excitable around them. Confidence and calm consistency with routine makes a difference.

Dust bathing areas like Centrarchid mentioned are anywhere loose dry soil exists, but can be provided as well. Wet weather determines much. His analysis of the California Gray was accurate, though I disagree about encouraging aggression towards them, as with any rooster.

To clarify; use of the term "aggression" does not apply well to gamecocks although it can be appropriate for roosters of other breeds.

That still makes no sense either way you put it. All roosters show aggression to some degree or another. That is the order of dominance hierarchy in all species where aggression is always demonstrated. Repetitive interactions lead to the creation of the social order, that can change any time the dominant animal is challenged by what is perceived to be the subordinate.

Back
Top Bottom