HELP PLEASE

I saw that too.
Where can you buy Vitamin E??
I put local honey in their water

It could be D3 too...

Retarded growth and severe leg weakness are the first signs noted when chicks are deficient in vitamin D3. Beaks and claws become soft and pliable. Chicks may have trouble walking and will take a few steps before squatting on their hocks. While resting, they often sway from side to side, suggesting loss of equilibrium. Feathering is usually poor, and an abnormal banding of feathers may be seen in colored breeds. With chronic vitamin D3 deficiency, marked skeletal disorders are noted.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

Have you tried a chick chair. If it's a slipped tendon I think that's really the only way besides operating that can fix it but it needs to be done quickly. I thought two of my chicks had slipped tendons and made them chick chairs. It turns out that they just had splayed legs so I didn't need to after all.

If you run your finger next to the groove where the tendon is supposed to be and can't feel it (it would feel something like a bit of string rolling around), I'd guess its where its should be. That chick may have just had a hard time hatching, or got itself into a weird position while preparing to hatch. I've had a few that seemed to be favoring one leg after hatch, and honestly, I just leave them be (unless they're struggling to get around, to the food and water) and they were running around like normal after a couple of days. I'd put it back with the other chicks and keep an eye on it. There's going to be some pecking, chicks explore the world around them with their beaks. If its not aggressive, just leave them to it. Chicks are usually less stressed when they're with their buddies, even if they're being pushed around.

Good luck!

Have you tried a chick chair. If it's a slipped tendon I think that's really the only way besides operating that can fix it but it needs to be done quickly. I thought two of my chicks had slipped tendons and made them chick chairs. It turns out that they just had splayed legs so I didn't need to after all.

You guys are spot on!
I realize this little one hatched Saturday...
hmm.png

I will make a chair here to keep the legs from touching ground so they can stretch while trying to locate where tendon is malpositioned and gently roll it back in place!
Hope it turns out for this little one as that hock is getting no smaller.
Thank you to all who have posted here.

You guys are spot on!
I realize this little one hatched Saturday...
hmm.png

I will make a chair here to keep the legs from touching ground so they can stretch while trying to locate where tendon is malpositioned and gently roll it back in place!
Hope it turns out for this little one as that hock is getting no smaller.
Thank you to all who have posted here.

Let us know how it all goes. I hope he/she gets well.

Let us know how it all goes. I hope he/she gets well.

Swelling is decreasing somewhat, as long as the chick stays in the chair. Will baby aspirin help decrease swelling further?
Eating and drinking very well. Have been giving Poly Vi Sol a few times a day and in the water.
When I did catch the chick out of the chair, it seemed as if it could use that leg a little more, and it's not as much to the side as it was before.
Trying to put the tendon back in place a few times a day, but the swelling makes it difficult to see/feel it.
Not to hopeful but doing everything I can, I hate to see a being suffer.

Swelling is decreasing somewhat, as long as the chick stays in the chair. Will baby aspirin help decrease swelling further?
Eating and drinking very well. Have been giving Poly Vi Sol a few times a day and in the water.
When I did catch the chick out of the chair, it seemed as if it could use that leg a little more, and it's not as much to the side as it was before.
Trying to put the tendon back in place a few times a day, but the swelling makes it difficult to see/feel it.
Not to hopeful but doing everything I can, I hate to see a being suffer.

I know what you mean about hating seeing it suffer. I thought the same thing when mine was in the chick chair and was afraid I was going to have to cull them. Thankfully mine were okay, I think in the end they just had splayed legs. Fingers crossed here.

Back
Top Bottom