Help please!!

UPDATE on the last 2 chick eggs... sadly, the one that pipped and tried to hatch (#4) did not survive. Maybe the other chicks disrupted its hatching, maybe opening the incubator to get them out made it too cold or maybe it was just nature. Either way, it's a goner. The last egg was a dud. Had no movement whatsoever. As of now I have 7 ducky eggs in the incubator getting ready to do their thing. Candled them and all was good. Incubator is clean and ready for them. Hope they will make it! Wish me luck!

I haven't read every post, but remember Duck eggs take longer to hatch than chicken eggs, like lower temp in incubator and much more humidity! We usually mist duck eggs before putting them in the incubator. Hope this helps and have a blessed day!

UPDATE on the last 2 chick eggs... sadly, the one that pipped and tried to hatch (#4) did not survive. Maybe the other chicks disrupted its hatching, maybe opening the incubator to get them out made it too cold or maybe it was just nature. Either way, it's a goner. The last egg was a dud. Had no movement whatsoever. As of now I have 7 ducky eggs in the incubator getting ready to do their thing. Candled them and all was good. Incubator is clean and ready for them. Hope they will make it! Wish me luck!
Late hatchers are generally weaker and less likely to survive. The farther you get from day 21, the weaker chick you expect and the lower survival rate. So, it is well in expected outcome.

Last edited:
Also, I want to add. Please do not put drinking water in the incubator! There is more risk of drowning than anything, plus you said that the first chick was knocking it around..they need time to rest and get used to their legs and feet. You only confuse the situation when adding things unnecessary to the incubator. Stay calm when the ducks start hatching. Let yourself enjoy it a little. Nature is a wonderful thing, the strong will survive and the weak won't. That's a bummer but suffering isn't fun either. Be patient. The hardest thing when you are new to hatching. I know. But it may take a while so don't panic. Enjoy the duckling hatch :) I have to agree with AmyLynn2374, late hatchers generally won't survive. They are weak and if they do hatch or you help them, be prepared for stress, high maintenance chick and probably not a great ending. They just don't have what it takes to survive for one reason or another. :) But please enjoy..it's stressful but when you have the wonderful healthy ones..it is worth it.

Last edited:
I'm a new duck mama and have recently joined BYC and followed this(and a few others!)thread like an addict! Checking for updates constantly!! Please let us know how your duck egg hatching goes!

So nothing happening with the ducks yet. They are in the incubator one day 26. Donthey hatch the same as chickens? Pip about 24 hours and need to stay in incubator 24 hours? I am excited to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom