Help please!!

Ok, PROBLEM! So the chick is NOT dry, hatched an hour ago. He has been all over the incubator jumping on all the eggs. One that pipped is moving but blood is coming out of the egg. It's all over the bottom of the incubator. Help!
The chick running around is fine in the incubator, but even wet, you can put it in the brooder.
Take out the bloody egg. See if you can assist. Open it just enough (A LITTLE BIT, AND SLOWLY!) to tell me where it's bleeding from.

I haven't hatched enough chicks to help you with the egg with blood coming out, sorry about that.

But as far as the chick that has hatched - it can take up to 24 hours to dry in the incubator. Patience! Just leave the chick in there, it will be fine.

As far as the chick bumping around the other eggs, that is okay too. He/she is telling the others, "Hey, its fun out here, come out and play!" Now, if he REALLY gets going and starts cracking the eggs into each other then that's a different story. But if he is just stumbling into them and falling on them, well that is completely normal.

While it isn't ideal that the pipped side ended up down, it probably still is okay. In my experience, if you open the incubator to fix the egg, someone else is going to bump into it and roll it pipped side down again. Of course, if the egg is sitting on the pip (not just that the pip is down, but that the weight of the egg is on the pip... if the pip is in the right place this shouldn't happen) anyways if the egg sits on the pip then the chick can have troubles. Not likely, but it can happen.

I was looking for the...
Ok, PROBLEM! So the chick is NOT dry, hatched an hour ago. He has been all over the incubator jumping on all the eggs. One that pipped is moving but blood is coming out of the egg. It's all over the bottom of the incubator. Help!

I'm from over there. What's the problem?
thanks for coming KWhites!

The chick running around is fine in the incubator, but even wet, you can put it in the brooder.
Take out the bloody egg. See if you can assist. Open it just enough (A LITTLE BIT, AND SLOWLY!) to tell me where it's bleeding from.
Xs 2
If your brooder has one end heated to between 95-100 pull it out and put it in the brooder. I pull mine as they become active in the bator. That often means within an hour or two after hatch and yes, they are still wet. Then roll any pippers back up so pip is facing up. Pull the one with blood out and check it. It could be something as simple as it pipped an active vein. Chances are you will not be able to assist because obviously there is bleeding and it's not ready to hatch. If you need to you can put a bit of cornstarch or flour on the bleeder if you can see the vein it's bleeding from. Is it a vast amount of blood or just a trace?

Make sure your humidity stays at 65% or higher, preferably 70%+ while opening the bator. If you have a clean unused sponge wet it and add it to the incubator or a wet paper towel/cloth. That will help keep humidity up. Vaseline, non pain relief neosporin or coconut oil can be used on any exposed membrane to keep it moist.

Back
Top Bottom