Help please

The crop is external to the body cavity and attached to the upper right breast near the neck.
So is it like a storage facility for her to absorb the nutrients while she's sleeping and running around or is that something that is not normal for it to be bulging like that? You know how hamsters are there going fill up their cheeks sew in eat that food that they have in their cheeks later without having to go back to the food bowl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_(anatomy)
"A crop (sometimes also called a croup or a craw, or ingluvies) is a thin-walled expanded portion of the alimentary tract used for the storage of food prior to digestion."
Thank you. That's got to be it. I'm surprised they all don't have bulges like hers. Last night they were all in the food and water every 2-3 hours pigging out and have been awake running around like crazy playing with the toys and eating and drinking all day. I've only seen 2 take naps. The only reason I know this is because I'm also trying to get my 2 Dog's use to them. The Shepard jumps at the cage like he's chasing shadows and my Lab want a tasty treat.

To me it looks like the chick ate lots of food and it's crop is full. Can you post a picture of it standing?
Here's a picture of the one that has the swollen lump but now it's filled out and rounded its way over to the left side too and it does look like the crop with her I one of the others which is how she looked this morning before the lump. But I know know it is the crop because all the others are getting the lump but just in a a different way. Both pics were just taken.
20190321_191721.jpg
20190321_191736.jpg

I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I've never had chicks (my friend kindly raised the babies she'd hatched til I got my electric fence up) and I had NO IDEA the crop could look like that on a chick. I would have been very worried to see something like that without this for reference. So thanks!!!
And so glad to hear your baby is doing great!

Back
Top Bottom