jsullivan704

Chirping
Jun 27, 2018
Ohio
I got my chick about two weeks ago it’s a silkie, it’s very small and i noticed right away that one of its eyes was very watery. Slowly it progressed into being puss filled, and swelling. I got eye drops for it and put those in every day, but now it’s completely swollen shut, I put a warm compress on there but i can’t get any of the puss to come off or out. I don’t know what to do, it’s the weekend and there’s no vets near me that are open to take her. It also seems very lathargic, i have had it separated from the rest the entire time. it is eating and drinking though. To make matters even worse one of my other polish chicks won’t stop sleeping, it will start to wake up but then it’s head will drop right back down I can’t get it to eat or drink. I am at a loss right now, I am extremely upset. I don’t want to lose either chick.

Do you have any pictures? I would give your chicks some Poultry NutriDrench (a couple of drops a day) encourage them to drink water, and drop some chick crumbles around their feet on some clean paper towels. Try to squeeze some of the pus out of the chick’s eye if you cannot get it out with a QTip. Here is a video of pus removal:

Do you have any pictures? I would give your chicks some Poultry NutriDrench (a couple of drops a day) encourage them to drink water, and drop some chick crumbles around their feet on some clean paper towels. Try to squeeze some of the pus out of the chick’s eye if you cannot get it out with a QTip. Here is a video of pus removal:

the only thing i’m worried about is because it’s a chick, i don’t want to hurt it it’s so small.

I agree with you to be very gentle so as not to injure the chick, but the pus needs to be removed. It can become solid in time. You may need to do it just a little at a time with a QTip or gauze. Clean the eye with eye wash or saline, and use some Terramycin Eye Ointment (from a farm store) in the eye twice a day. What is the name of the eye drop? Make sure there is nothing inside the eye causing the infection. The chick may have brought a respiratory disease such as MG with it. That can cause pinkeye and sinus infection. Sick chicks will not eat and drink enough, and you may need to persist feeding it. Can you contact the breeder?

Back
Top Bottom