HELP PLEASE!!!

Hep44

Songster
May 8, 2020
UPDATE: Second chick has hatched, she has it underneath her, she seems to be acting motherly to it. I'm wondering if we freaked her out and she saw the baby and thought it was a threat to her eggs

We are hatching chicks for the first time under a broody momma. She is a mutt of some sort from TSC, so we were pretty surprised she even went broody. First baby just hatched, and we were peeking at it and it almost fell out of the coop, so we ushered it back under her and she tried to kill it. We separated it for a minute, let her calm down, tried to reintroduce it, and she tried to kill it again. We now have it separated under a heat lamp, hoping it makes it. What the heck happened?? Was it us being there? Does she not have good instincts because she's a mutt? Did she think it was too weak? It looked healthy. I'm just worried about the other babies when they hatch

Last edited:
I have an easter egger hen that goes broody. She loves to sit, but hates the chicks and will kill them immediately when she feels the movement under her. There are non-Moms in all different sort of animals. You will have to take them or she will kill them. This trait is not what I would call "common", but it does happen. Just take them away and raise them in your brooder. This has nothing to do with breed or raising, it's not your fault. It just happens! Good Luck with the new babies!

It has nothing to do with her being a mutt. I’m sorry this has happened to you. If you can, make sure to be there as the babies hatch and take them right away. She may kill all of them

Back
Top Bottom