HELP! Poor Chick!

Equest94

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
New York
I just bought chicks a few days ago (we decided we want to raise a few for eggs and such). So we bought 4 of them. They are different breeds and seem to get along with each other quite well; however, there is one that is having an issue. This one is a bit smaller and I think it is acutally a bit younger and seems to be a "runt." I think there is something wrong with its right leg/foot. It tends to lie down and sleep most of the time. I'm nervous that it hasn't been eating enough so I pick it up and place it in the feed bowl and it eat some more until the other 3 come charging over. Everytime is stands up it lifts it's right foot up and holds it out and balances like that until another chick accidently knocks it down or it decides to lay down. It doesn't seem to be "weak" in the sense that it doesn't do anything. It has a good pair of lungs on it, it peeps and cheeps so loud and makes it's presence well heard and occassionly it hops and lunges around. I'm just really worried about its foot.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? Somebody mentioned a topic about a spalyed leg...could my chick have that? What can I do? Do you think it's an injury or do you think it's some cripple defect?
sad.png

I don't know too much about chickens. I know a lot about horses. We're just starting this chicken "business" and it's kind of sad because this little one is my favorite. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Can you post a pic?? That would help alot. Sounds to me likt it might have gotten stepped on, being itis smaller than the others. Can you put it in a seperat brooder, with just one of the others? Maybe another small one? Might give it a chance to get to the food..and not get knocked down.

Quote:
I actually tried that. We have 2 that are stuck together like glue - "the twins" - you take one away from the other and even if there is another buddy present, they both go nuts. The other one is the biggest and pretty pushy. I tried to keep the injured one a lone and it just goes crazy - screams it's little beak off. So now I keep all 4 together. The little one just stays off to the side and out of the other's way...they all cuddle with each other while they sleep and they behave nicely then... My mom was looking over the injured one. She think it's leg is dislocated or possibly broken...just by they feel of things, the right side seems off alignment. I feel so bad. I want to take it to the vet or something, but my dad is against it becasue it was a $2 chick and the vet bill would come out to be more than all the chicks combined. I can't get a good pic. It comes out too blurry. I can possibly take a mini video clip.

Back
Top Bottom