HELP!?!?! Possible ear infection....??

ChickyPebbles

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 4, 2009
So my Chicken Nugget (yes that is his/her name...) is three weeks old this week and has been fine until today!!! Its as though its equilibrium is off or something. Whenever it goes to take a drink or eat when it comes back up it goes into some crazy spaz mode and throws its poor little head back and freaks out. It really breaks my heart, I was practically in tears all day!!! Other than that Chicken Nugget is fine... eating and drinking is normal, moving around and still very lovey..... However he/she is holding its head to one side a bit so that is what makes me think its a ear issue....???

Please someone help!!! Anything I can do to help or any info to put me at ease would be wonderful. I love my little Chicken Nugget!!

The posts above were quite helpful... the one with luvchicks8 seems to be the most similar however it was hard to follow all the advice. I went out and got a vitamin packet to hold me over....

Hopefully someone will give some advice soon....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go get yourself some Poly-Vi-Sol drops without the iron.....if it is wry neck then I have some experience with that. I had one that came down with this and she is perfectly fine now..it took a good couple of weeks tho to get her well again. Isolate yours into a kennel or something...make sure chicken nugget is nice and warm and start dropping some of these vitamins directly on / in her beak...I did this twice a day..in the morning and in the evening...also put some vitamin e on her food....I dont know if you are still having the problem but if you are I am guessing it might be worse by now so the sooner you start the poly vi sol drops the better....let me know if I can be of help!

All i could find was Vi-tal... its a powder mixture. Is that good for now?? And your right it does seem to be getting worse.... Although I thought wry neck was when their neck went limp...?? Thats not whats going on, it gets stiff and tosses backwards.

Im so sad :eek:(

when one of mine got it this is what she did:

her neck never went limp really.

her neck would start going down and down and she would almost look like she was going into a seizure and her head would literally go down between her legs and it got to the point where she couldn't even really walk...she would walk backwards if at all and she was doing somersaults rather than walking...all the while either her neck woud be between her legs or else like she was seizuring..eyes shut....I literally had to hold her still and hold her head so I could give her her vitamin drops...and then I would give her water that way also because she couldn't keep herself still long enough to get a drink of water...I also forgot about this but I had to make her food into sort of a mash so that when she pecked at it she got a good little bit because otherwise it was too hard for her to get enough food...I mixed just a little water in with a small amount of food and then put the vitamin e on top and made sure she got that part first....

it was alot of work taking care of her for a couple of weeks..the first 5 or 6 days were the worst and she definetely got worse before she got better but then I started to notice her having less somersaults and then gradually being able to hold herself still better and towards the end of it it seemed like she only had trouble if she got overly excited and that sent her into the seizure like thing again temporarily...

how is yours doing today? I got the poly vi sol drops at Walmart....just make sure you get the ones W/O the iron in them...you should be able to get them anywhere that sells baby products but some places only have W/ iron...Walmart has both...I think it was $7 for the bottle....I kept her on them for about a week after she stopped showing symptoms...once she was steady on her feet I let her go back in with her friends...just watch and make sure that she is ready because otherwise the others might trample her.

My Agatha has an inner ear infection and had similar symptoms. I took her to the vet the first day I noticed this and he put her on antibiotics.

I'm on my third day of treatment and she is feeling much better. Naturally I have to discard any eggs that she might lay over the next three to four weeks.

Ok so Chicken Nugget is doing MUCH better!!!!! I went and got the vitamins the other day and yesterday it only had a few episodes of throwing its little head back and freaking out and seemed to recover much quicker than before. Today I didnt see ANY episodes... although I did notice a small tick/jerk in the neck a few times. I think Ive come to the conclusion that it was indeed some sort of vitamin issue. I was looking up some stuff and found some info on "Star Gazing" poses in chickens caused by a lack of Thiamine, there were pictures/videos and it was EXACTLY what Chicken Nugget was doing. I noticed that the vitamins I bought had a significant amount of thiamine so I can only assume that this was the issue.

Ill make sure to keep you posted. Thanks so much for the responses and support!!!!! Chicken Nugget and his side kick French Fry thank you as well haha
:eek:) ChickyPebbles

Back
Top Bottom