HELP - POSSIBLE PROLAPSE?! *WARNING* graphic photo

LilaAndEmz

Hatching
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Hi, im new here..
Over the weekend, our 1 year old hybrid has had some problems with her bottom/vent/bum area..
I've done some research, and the only thing, it looks like, is a prolapse, but we're not sure..
She's normal, she's been eating and drinking normally. The only thing that is wrong with her is her vent.
Its popped out once over the weekend, so we cleaned her up, and it didnt happen again, but then again today, its happened twice within an hour, each time we've cleaned her.

I've uploaded a picture below

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

It does look like a prolapsed!!!

take the your hen to a vet!! or you can do this!

You need to act quickly, before it becomes cut or infected, or the other chickens start to peck at it. Bring the chicken inside, and clean the prolapsed vent as gently as you can with warm water and a clean lint-free cloth or paper towel.
Many sources advise dabbing the prolapse with honey before pushing it back where it belongs. Honey has antiseptic qualities, and can help shrink the tissues back to normal size.
Wash your hands, and don clean rubber gloves or surgical gloves if you have some. Gently push the prolapsed tissue back into the hen’s vent where it belongs. Once you turn everything right side-in, it should stay in place. In some cases it can be helpful to apply Preparation H to the vent area afterward.
You may want to isolate the hen, and give her antibiotics over the next few days. Keep her under close supervision, to make sure that everything is back to normal.

I had a hen with prolapse several years ago. She layed huge round eggs, and that was the problem.
I brought her inside, cleaned her up, pushed the prolapsed tissue in, took her off layer feed, only fed her scratch grains, kept her in a relatively dark spot to force a molt. This was about 10-12 years ago, so I don't remember how long I did things. I did use Prepertion H, on her, I squirted it in internally. I'm not sure whether it made a difference or not. I did have to push it in several times over the next few days.
I have a vague recollection that she was egg bound and she was unable to pass the egg through the prolapsed vent and i had to help her pass the egg.
Once she stopped laying it healed. She lived for several years after that, and would have prolapse after each egg that was layed, but it would go back in on it's own after several minutes.

Prep H- darkness- and quiet.....thats what works. Keep her clean and put her in a dark place to discourage laying. Push the thing in and put on prep H as much as you can. Dont put her outside or the others will bother her and peck the thing.
You can give her oatmeal and yogurt...scrambled eggs and such for now. Just keep her in a box and quiet with food and water.
Keep reapplying prep H.
Honey is a mess and it doesnt do much.
If its ripped open, you need to get it go down a bit and can see if its healing or if she needs either a vet or a stitch from you.
Its a hard area to treat because of the poo germs.

Good luck.

Thankyou everyone for your advice, we're going to give her a bath to calm her.
Just been to the shop to get prep H so will put it on and push it in,
Thank you so much!
:) xx

Ok, so we've pushed it back in with prep H, but she keeps pushing it back out?
Is there anything we're doing wrong? Or is this normal and do we need to persevere?

I had the same problem you are saying and she kept pushing it back out. I used honey. I put it on her vent and I pushed it back in and held it in for like 1 minute. Then I left her be in a dark and clean area. About an hour later I did the same thing. Everytime I went back out the vent was pushed out a little less. After about 4 or 5 times it was in. She is perfectly fine and I haven't had any other problems. It smells badly. I wanted to barf everytime, but she is fine now and I am so happy I did it.

HONEY is magic!!!!

Hi am a new member and have four little bantum cross. Just started laying tiny eggs. One looks like she has prolapsed. Looks like an egg is stuck in it. Do I push whole lot back in ?? Looks like a whole egg is covered in bloody skin on the outside. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom