Help predator proof door

Dsotto

Chirping
May 4, 2020
So I had to create more ventilation and took out a lot of the cleaning door not realizing it would bow more. With the amount this gives now I'm scared something will be able to get in. (We only have opposums and racoons in the city) I have gate locks and padlocks on top and bottom. The hardware cloth is secured with 1/2" staples and screws and washers every couple inches. But when you pull on it there's a bit of movement but I feel like they've have to break the wood or rip out the hinges 🤷🏻‍♀️

Can't attach video. Hope it works to see the amount of give with photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20200605_192910.jpg
    IMG_20200605_192910.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200605_192913.jpg
    IMG_20200605_192913.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 17
What if you installed a block of wood at the top and bottom that kept it from opening? I’m thinking a piece that turns sideways so you can open the door and then turns vertically to block it from opening/bowing.

Looks like your door is just plywood? Plywood is a siding/cover not framing, it will be week. Rip a dog eared fence board in half or get some 1 by and trim it out.
Trim it from the inside? I was thinking about that. I added a rotating bar that blocks it from the bottom.

Inside, outside or both. It doesn't have to be flush with the end of the plywood if its going to bind when opening. an inch back will still work. what looks good will work. now little coon hands like a grip so close it up if you can as long as it doesn't blind when opening or shutting.

Back
Top Bottom