HELP! prolapse with egg inside? (pictures)

I am not sure the articles advice to give her calcium to increase contractions is a good idea at this point. Those contractions aren't going to get her anywhere.

Apart from a warm bath, can you moisten it all up with cream and sit her on a towel on a warm rubber 'hot water bottle' (do you have those in the states?). At least until you get more help and advice.
Yes we have those. Thank you this is what we will do until further advice on how to remove the egg is given.

I'm really hoping you manage to work out a solution. What bad luck with her first egg. It may be a big double yolker or she may have a malformation in her cloaca. I'm rooting for her.
Yes, the poor thing. How much aspirin should we give?

The problem with giving aspirin is if there is going to be bleeding, it will make it worse as it works against coagulation.

Try to resist the urge to cut tissue to release the egg. It would be very difficult to heal and could make the situation worse.

One thing to do is take a very thin oral syringe and fill it with warm saline solution and poke it in the vent between egg and the rim of the vent, squirting the fluid to try to make things slippery so the egg will pass.

You should be gloved. Another thing to try is to slip a finger into the edge of the taught tissue and try to work it away from the egg, thus exposing more of the egg to the outside.

I would give the calcium tablet. It's going to require a strong contraction from her pelvic muscles to push the egg out.

I would also run a basin of warm Epsom salt water deep enough to cover her vent. This may help with 100% hydration of the tissues.

Is she standing? If she is, fill a tub deep enough to cover her vent as she is standing. A standing position will make it easier for the egg to come out. Someone, you or a helper, may need to steady her in the standing position.

The problem with giving aspirin is if there is going to be bleeding, it will make it worse as it works against coagulation.

Try to resist the urge to cut tissue to release the egg. It would be very difficult to heal and could make the situation worse.

One thing to do is take a very thin oral syringe and fill it with warm saline solution and poke it in the vent between egg and the rim of the vent, squirting the fluid to try to make things slippery so the egg will pass.

You should be gloved. Another thing to try is to slip a finger into the edge of the taught tissue and try to work it away from the egg, thus exposing more of the egg to the outside.

I would give the calcium tablet. It's going to require a strong contraction from her pelvic muscles to push the egg out.

I would also run a basin of warm Epsom salt water deep enough to cover her vent. This may help with 100% hydration of the tissues.

Is she standing? If she is, fill a tub deep enough to cover her vent as she is standing. A standing position will make it easier for the egg to come out. Someone, you or a helper, may need to steady her in the standing position.
Thank you, but our problem with this is that we can't see the egg from her vent or any other "hole". It's as though tissue is separating the egg from the vent, so the egg cannot be pushed out.

Also, thank you for the advice on aspirin, we will stop giving some.

I had a quail with this issue. It was her first egg, and the egg prolapsed out, but wasn’t quite at the end of the road, so I was not able to locate the exit hole in order to lubricate it and try to help it out. I pushed the egg back in and gently pressed it up as far Into the tract as I could, which is probably easier with quail due to their small size. I held the prolapse in for a short time, and I set up a warm water bowl that reached up over the vent when she stood in it. I left her there for a couple hours, and I was then able to locate the exit and I helped her pass the egg by oiling and gently pushing back the skin as she tried to push it out. After she passed it, I kept her indoors with no artificial lighting, hoping she wouldn’t lay for a few days. Her next egg passed fine. After that she was just one of the group, no long term effects. The egg was not even big, totally normal, it just seemed like the exit road got prolapsed and cut off the way to the door.

Back
Top Bottom