HELP! Puppies attacked new hen (*pictures)

Amos-Moses

Songster
Nov 14, 2017
Alabama
New hen jumped the fence into the pasture, puppies not yet taught that chickens are not to be messed with. When I found her she was under a pile of 10wk old pyrenees puppies trying to 'play' with her. They tore her up pretty bad :( I thought she was dead when I found her, but she perked up a little once I got her in my arms away from the puppies. She will walk and stand, but she seems dazed/exhausted. A pretty large flesh wound on the back, lots of feathers missing, multiple wounds on sides and neck, comb is cut. Looks like all flesh wounds, but I am worried about infection/healing with the huge one on the back. I have sprayed all wounds with bluekote, and am headed to feed store for chicken-specific first aid. What else should I do?

Please, does anyone have any advice on saving her? Experience with this sort of thing, tips?
I thought I was going to have to put her down when she first started moving around, but now that she is standing and walking a little I don't want to give up on her if I don't have to... But I also don't want to prolong her suffering if she doesn't stand a chance.

IMG_9612.jpg
IMG_9616.jpg
IMG_9615.jpg
IMG_9614.jpg
IMG_9613.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9613.jpg
    IMG_9613.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 6
looks like she will be fine... smarter folks will be here to help you out shortly :D
Lmao... x2 on the smarter folks thing.. but to me she looks like she has bruising and feather loss. I would think she would be ok. Chickens are pretty sturdy.. I have a 1600 lb draft horse who stepped on my 3 month old pullets entire left foot and leg. It was hot, swollen and non weight bearing. No compound fractures. She barely walked for 2 days then did this great fast hop within the week. 1 month later she was completely fine and can run and keep up with all the others. Just saying they can bounce back!

Last edited:
External damage is not bad. Internal damage remains to be seen. You've already done great!
Supportive care/ shock treatment.....rest, quiet, warm, hydration and, when interested, nutrition (soaked feed made into mash is great as easy to digest, extra hydration and properly balanced nutrients). Nutridrench in the water will help support her.
Chickens are amazingly resilient, I suspect you'll be surprised by her recovery as soon as the next 24 hours.

Last edited:
I've not had to deal with an injury this bad, but have read some amazing stories of chickens recovering from horrific wounds. It seems like the preferred treatment -- and what I did when my hen was bitten by a bobcat -- are as follows:

1. Clean the wounds thoroughly with saline solution or just plain water.

2. Apply triple antibiotic cream (the kind without painkillers) to the wounds.

3. Separate the bird out from the rest of the flock, so the wounds stay clean and don't get picked on, and make sure the bird is in a quiet, warm, comfortable spot. A pet carrier covered with a towel will work well. Offer water and high quality, easy to eat food -- scrambled eggs/yogurt/honey along with moistened chicken food.

4. If you have antibiotics available at the feed store (they are not legal to sell OTC in all states) you can start or on a dose of these to help with infection. Or, a vet may prescribe antibiotics if going to a vet is something that is feasible for you. I was not able to get antibiotics for my wounded chicken, but she did pull through even though the bite became infected, so antibiotics are helpful, but are not always essential.

Good luck and I hope your chicken pulls through.

Lmao... x2 on the smarter folks thing.. but to me she looks like she has bruising and feather loss. I would think she would be ok. Chickens are pretty sturdy.. I have a 1600 lb draft horse who stepped on my 3 month old pullets entire left foot and leg. It was hot, swollen and non weight bearing. No compound fractures. She barely walked for 2 days then did this great fast hop within the week. 1 month later she was completely fine and can run and keep up with all the others. Just saying they can bounce back!
Lol X2 in the chicken getting its leg stepped on by a horse..same thing happened to mine but she was ok in the end.

Back
Top Bottom