Help! Quail Aggression!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Feathers & Friends, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Housing

25.0%
  2. Number of other females housed together

62.5%
  3. Learned behavior

37.5%
  4. Diet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other: please describe

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Feathers & Friends

Feathers & Friends In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    New Member Intro: Hello, my name is Matthew. I am currently located in Idaho. I have raised poultry for 13+ years (mostly chickens and pigeons). I am currently raising Quail and Doves, although I'm fairly new to doves and quail.

Due to space limitations I started raising button quail and I am in immediate need to address female aggression. My females are pulling the feathers from the backs of other males and females. The feathers are pecked off from below the neck to underneath their legs. The pecking got so bad once that the other quail had caused an open lesion on one of the males backs and they were canabalizing him. Luckily I saved him in time and he has made a full recovery. I have increased their protein, I started grinding their calcium, ive practiced separating and re-introducing, I'm really running out of options. The aggression stops then starts again, and its only the females. Thanks for your time and information on this.

First photo: 29gallon tank, second: 55, and last photo is one of the females that's been getting picked on.
    -Matt View attachment 1325111

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    bantamsrmyfav likes this.
  2. mdees88

mdees88 Songster

Mar 15, 2018
    Lower Alabama
    My Coop
    Here's a few questions that need to be answered before anyone will be able to help you...

1) How many quail do you have?
    2) How many males/females?
    3) How old are they?
    4) Were the hatched out together (brothers/sisters) or did you mix different age birds?
    5) How big is their cage?
    6) What are you feeding them?

bantamsrmyfav and JaeG like this.
  3. Ah come on! How aggressive can a button quail be? You wan't aggression, take my rooster....... please take my rooster!:eek::lau

bantamsrmyfav and mdees88 like this.
  4. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Quail can be nasty aggressive and can go from seemingly being fine to a blood bath. Button quail are happiest kept as pairs - one pair per enclosure. Sometimes trios can work if there is enough space. I've recently had a male start plucking his 2 week old babies because he wants the hen to nest again!

5. Feathers & Friends

Apr 4, 2018

6. Feathers & Friends

Apr 4, 2018
    Lol. I have been chased by many roosters! Quail are not agressive towards humans but definetly a lot more aggressive than chickens towards each other.

7. Feathers & Friends

Apr 4, 2018
    I have a 29gallon tank and a 55 gallon. Should be plenty of space I would think?

Attached Files:

8. Cool! a quail condo!

9. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Buttons should be kept in pairs, and should have plenty of things to duck behind and get out of each other's way.

10. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    This is a great site for good button quail husbandry:
    http://www.cyberquail.com/homepage.html

A pair requires a minimum of 4 sq/ft if you are hoping that they will breed and need a lot of hiding places. Single sex pens can be as little as 1 sq/ft per bird (though it's not recommended as they are very active birds, always on the go) but you cannot have any birds of the opposite sex anywhere in ear shot or there will be continuous calling and generally fighting. In a mixed pen females will fight for territory, males will fight for females, so it's a risk if you decide to house more than one pair per enclosure.

featherhead007 and bantamsrmyfav like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: