Keep him isolated from others. Vetericyn, Theracycn or other hydrogel wound sprays from feed stores would be helpful. Or mix some table salt 1 tsp to 16 ounces of water, and boil for a few minutes, then cool. That can be used to clean the wound twice a day. Then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. This is a common place for serious wounds. Most will, recover if there is no head injury. It will takes weeks to heal and grow new skin.
ok thank you i haven’t got Neosporin but i have researched and don’t think it’s available in the uk. Is antiseptic cream the same? The only cream I have got right now is johnson’s tea tree soothing cream for small animals since in one of the reviews it said it apparently helped healing but i’m not sure because it said it was for itchy skin

I had a brood 2 years ago and one of the males suffered a similar injury. (Being attacked by the other male)

After cleaning the wound and keeping him separate for about 3 weeks until he was mostly healed, I thought he'd be good to go. Days after rejoining his covey, he was attacked again...left him in the same condition as the first time.. So we did the process over, but this time when he was all healed and healthy, we ate him.

I hate seeing a quail go to waste.

Hope the little fella makes a speedy recovery!

ok thank you i haven’t got Neosporin but i have researched and don’t think it’s available in the uk. Is antiseptic cream the same? The only cream I have got right now is johnson’s tea tree soothing cream for small animals since in one of the reviews it said it apparently helped healing but i’m not sure because it said it was for itchy skin
also he is not eating or drinking i have dipped his beak in the water

[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear this. Try to clean the wound as you would for any human first aid. I'm in the UK too and I've used germoline/savlon or other similar antiseptic ointment as well.

Make a recovery drink for him. Helps weak/sick chicks and birds. Use a small syringe to feed him a few drops every hour to start with. Have his normal food and water available too. Rescue drink:
1 cup water,
1 TBSP brown sugar/honey/molasses,
1/4 TSPN salt
1/4 TSPN baking soda (bicarb)
Or u can use the dyoralyte sachets

Hope he recovers soon

Sorry to hear this. Try to clean the wound as you would for any human first aid. I'm in the UK too and I've used germoline/savlon or other similar antiseptic ointment as well.

Make a recovery drink for him. Helps weak/sick chicks and birds. Use a small syringe to feed him a few drops every hour to start with. Have his normal food and water available too. Rescue drink:
1 cup water,
1/4 TSPN salt

Hope he recovers soon
[/QUOTE]
thank you

1 cup water,
1/4 TSPN salt

Hope he recovers soon
thank you
[/QUOTE]
also just realised that the pharmacy will be closed for at least 2 weeks now ;( should i still do the salt water?

also just realised that the pharmacy will be closed for at least 2 weeks now ;( should i still do the salt water?
hello everyone sadly he has passed was about to take him to emergency vet but i think in shock he had a seizure thank you for all your help
[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry

hello everyone sadly he has passed was about to take him to emergency vet but i think in shock he had a seizure thank you for all your help
I'm sorry
[/QUOTE]
thank you for all your help had a good cry but i think it was for the best rather than seeing him suffer plus think the vet would’ve euthanised him anyway ;/

Back
Top Bottom