help, recipes without garlic or heavy spices, sick friend.

farrier!

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Southern Illinois
I cook with garlic and often heavy spices. My daughter is going to help a friend who is going to have heart surgery. I would like to send some precooked foods/soups with her.
Along with the heart surgery he has heartburn with anything too spicy. I know there must be tasty ways to prepare food that will be flavorful but not bother his heartburn.
Anyone?

Here's a simple recipe I use quite often. The kids love it, and it isn't too spicey.

Main dish is chicken breast, baked. In a 9x13 pan I line up as many as I can pack in there, pour one whole can of beer over chicken and pop in the oven........

Side - I get a couple of cans of sliced potatoes and pour them into another 9x13 pan, sprinkle a packet of ranch dressing mix, then pour one whole can of beer over......

cover both, cook at 350 for 40 minutes or so....

And then the beer bread I make on the side
wink.png

PS, I brew beer for my recipes because it's too expensive to buy it 24/7
smile.png
It leaves behind a great flavor, and the kids absolutely demolish it. i got a kiddo here who I think is going to end up having more stomach problems so I've been switching my cooking to non spicy and so far i have no leftovers to eat late at night
barnie.gif

Chicken & Rice

Put chicken breast in 9 x 13 pan pour some frenchs fried onions over the chicken.
mix uncle bens long grain wild rice 2 bags of the microwave kind. &
1 can of cream of mushroom soup in a bowl. cook rice first.

after you mix that together pour it over the chicken and cook on 350 for 1 hour. cover the dish with foil

Last edited:
Beef / Barley / Vegetable soup

get a soup bone (one of the big ones with the marrow still in it) boil it for 4 hours --- remove soup bone

cut up some cheap stew meat and brown it in oil
cool the meat off and shred it
add shredded meat to the stock
add in 1 onion - diced
mixed vegatable (canned or frozen)
1 small can of tomato paste
half a jar of "better than buillion beef base"

cook for 2 hours

add 1 cup of pearled barley

cook for another 2 hours

-- edit --

ohh yeah --- this stuff is gold