Jan 17, 2018
My boyfriend volunteers for our fair and 50 chicks were not picked up. Instead of leaving them there to die, he brought them home. I fell in love immediately but we are having so many problems. Seven have died at this point and we've had them for 5 days.

We have them in our downstairs bathroom, in two separate boxes with heat lamps, water, feeders, etc. My boyfriend has a thermometer in there are says it's at the right temp. We have had the vent fan on, but since I've read the thread about problems with chicks, I started to crack the door for circulation. but it has to stay mostly closed because we have cats. We're feeding them medicated chick feed from Tractor Supply, and mixing it with finely grated hardboiled eggs. They get fed ALL THE TIME at least every 2-3hours. We are also giving them electrolyte water that comes in powder form and looks like lemon lime gatorade when mixed. Their bedding is getting changed every other day and they get fresh water every couple hours or sometimes more frequently.

So they all have matted feathers, and I think some of them have lost patches of feathers. Their bellies look swollen to me, but that might just be because their feathers aren't fluffy especially underneath so their bellies are more obvious. I have two right now that look like they are gagging. Just kind of doing that gag motion in the air over and over again. Their poop is brown but it is not firm, makes me think it is diarrhea (Image below).

The ones that have died would just stop eating and drinking and become lethargic. The last one that died I kind of noticed a bubbling in its mouth.

After research I am concerned about:
Humidity
Infection
Labored breathing
Possible water in lungs?
Should I bathe them?
IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

I know there's a lack of bedding, we changed it and didn't have enough so my boyfriend's at the supply store
IMG_0202.JPG

feathers look matted
IMG_0204.JPG
Some fresh poop to be inspected.

I have already checked all of their bottoms for sticky butt and cleaned off the ones with poop that I noticed. I'm not sure what else to do and I don't know if I can emotionally take any more of them dying. Please help us!

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    450 KB · Views: 4
Sometimes baby chicks just die from being moved around, shipping stress. Hopefully you won't lose any more. Do you have plans for them all? They will grow out of those boxes very quickly.

They all look very healthy. It may be over crowding. How big are the boxes?

They are large moving boxes, they're probably 2ft x 1.5ft. We put the ones that were more lethargic in one because they were being trampled and the more active in another, so there's about 15 in one and 30 in the other.

Not sure how to give them more space right now. We plan to bring them to his parent's garage soon but the temperatures are going to be freezing for the next couple days.

Sometimes baby chicks just die from being moved around, shipping stress. Hopefully you won't lose any more. Do you have plans for them all? They will grow out of those boxes very quickly.

My boyfriend was raised on a farm and his family has a chicken coop that's vacant. We plan to move them to his parent's garage (we live in an apt) when it is warmer outside (hopefully soon) and then move them to the coop when they're big enough.

Another catch is that they're meat chickens and won't lay consistent eggs. Though I love that he rescued them, they will really just be pets to me. I'm a vegetarian.

They should be able to get away from the heat. It should be around those temperatures directly under the light, but cooler away from the light. Are you using a 250 watt bulb? Those generally are too hot. They could be over heating.

They should be able to get away from the heat. It should be around those temperatures directly under the light, but cooler away from the light. Are you using a 250 watt bulb? Those generally are too hot. They could be over heating.

Yes, we are using one but we have it 3 feet away from them. We originally just had 2 regular 65w bulbs. Do you think this would be better?

Back
Top Bottom