HELP! rooster attacks baby chick

Chicken Helper

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2015
Chicago,il
today one of my roosters was literally killing my baby chick and what I did was put him in a bucket and started banging on it.after that he seemed well but he seems less active and I afraid he's is going to die.is there anything I can do for now? This is him

That sounds like a poor method of behavior control. Of course it's nearly impossible to curb this kind of behavior. Personally, I don't tolerate chick-killing roosters in my flock. If they hurt a chick, they become stew.

You can add electrolytes to his water, which may help him perk up.

I have in the past had to dispose of a rooster that was intent on killing a coop-mate. If you can not rehome the rooster then you may need to dispose of him humanely. What you did probably did not teach the rooster anything except to stay away from buckets. That and traumatize him. He may die but that is unlikely.

Okay, no offense, but the rooster probably didn't know why he was being put in a bucket and hit. They don't make these sort of connections. Try to rehome or just keep him away from the chicks if he has shown no other aggressive behavior. I do not support the idea of killing a perfectly healthy rooster. And to clarify, is it the rooster or the chick you are worried about dying?

The baby chick was put in a little home by himself and other chicks whenever I take him outside now he just sits down and goes to sleep.and I put the chick in a bucket and banged on it so he wouldn't die.a friend taught me that trick.

The baby chick was put in a little home by himself and other chicks whenever I take him outside now he just sits down and goes to sleep.and I put the chick in a bucket and banged on it so he wouldn't die.a friend taught me that trick.

Your friend is, to put it bluntly, an idiot. A chick is going to become 10X more stressed if it's exposed to something like that. The only thing banging on a bucket is going to do is traumatize it and reduce it's chances of survival. You need to keep it somewhere warm but not hot, preferably indoors with no stressing factors whatsoever, and give it electrolytes in it's water.

@QueenMisha I believe it did work because before his head was wobbly and his eyes were closed and WS breathing heavily. Then after he was OK and chirping he does run to me when I have mealworms he seems OK but lazier

Back
Top Bottom