HELP!!!!!!!! Rooster in trouble and a hen.

lvigil98

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
HELP PLEASE!!!! I don;t know what is wrong with my rooster and one of my hens.
The other day I noticed that when he crows it was a real weak sound. Yesterday I heard him sneeze a couple times. But today, his comb is not as bright and he can't even make a sound. My hen was fine yesterday but today is is just laying on the ground on her side and almost looks dead. I don't know what is up or what to do.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME. THESE ARE MY KIDS CHICKENS AND WE LOVE THEM VERY MUCH!!!!

Hen died!!! I think she might have gotten locked out last night without us noticing and got too cold.
The rooster is in a separate pen right now. He is still breathing and walking around but has very labored breathing.
Please help me. I really don't want to lose another one.

I'm sorry the hen died.
hugs.gif
It sounds to me like the rooster has a respiratory disease; if not treated, its likely that he will die, too. The best treatment for respiratory diseases includes isolating the bird, giving supportive care (good feed, vitamins, warmth, etc.), and the use of an antibiotic. A good antibiotic to use is Tylan50 injectable, which can usually be purchased at a livestock supply store. Dosage is 1cc for large-fowl injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. Use a small needle, and alternate the side of the breast that you inject into. Improvement, if there is going to be any, should be seen after 1-3 days.

Unfortunately, if the diseases is viral, antibiotics will not be effective. The only treatment in that case is supportive care, though the antibiotics will help prevent secondary infections.

The only other thing I can think of that might be wrong with your birds is that they have been poisoned. I'm not sure what; all I know is that the sudden illness and death are odd and that poisoning might be the cause.

I'm sorry the hen died.
hugs.gif
It sounds to me like the rooster has a respiratory disease; if not treated, its likely that he will die, too. The best treatment for respiratory diseases includes isolating the bird, giving supportive care (good feed, vitamins, warmth, etc.), and the use of an antibiotic. A good antibiotic to use is Tylan50 injectable, which can usually be purchased at a livestock supply store. Dosage is 1cc for large-fowl injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. Use a small needle, and alternate the side of the breast that you inject into. Improvement, if there is going to be any, should be seen after 1-3 days.

Unfortunately, if the diseases is viral, antibiotics will not be effective. The only treatment in that case is supportive care, though the antibiotics will help prevent secondary infections.

The only other thing I can think of that might be wrong with your birds is that they have been poisoned. I'm not sure what; all I know is that the sudden illness and death are odd and that poisoning might be the cause.
I agree. If you can't get Tylan, Duramycin or Terramycin would be good choices too.

Back
Top Bottom