Help! Rooster injury

Alilinn

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2023
Does anyone know what this is? I felt a lump on my rooster and found a weird mass that was bleeding. I cleaned it out with running water. It’s not his vent (I’m not even sure that’s what you call the roosters “opening”) it’s just above it.
He’s eating and drinking and was still running all around the coop. I don’t know what this is or what I should do.

Attachments

• IMG_4365.jpeg
    IMG_4365.jpeg
    704.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4366.jpeg
    IMG_4366.jpeg
    568.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    691.5 KB · Views: 10
That bump looks like his tail. That wound should heal just fine.
Do you know how it could've happened?
I would just separate him, and apply some triple antibiotic cream on his wound. Keep him separated until it scabs over.
It would be best to separate him where the flock can still see him, if possible.

That bump looks like his tail. That wound should heal just fine.
Do you know how it could've happened?
I would just separate him, and apply some triple antibiotic cream on his wound. Keep him separated until it scabs over.
It would be best to separate him where the flock can still see him, if possible.
Thank you so much. That’s what I was thinking too. He’s the only rooster right now with several hens, some of which are new to him so I’m thinking he was picked on.
He only free ranges when I’m home with them and his coop is very secure. Luckily I have a small separate coop that’s still inside the large run that everyone else is in. So he’s still interacting with everyone while staying safe.
I rinsed the wound really well with warm running water and then coated it in regular Neosporin.
If you have any other ideas that could help him I’ll take it.
He’s my favorite little guy.

Thank you so much. That’s what I was thinking too. He’s the only rooster right now with several hens, some of which are new to him so I’m thinking he was picked on.
He only free ranges when I’m home with them and his coop is very secure. Luckily I have a small separate coop that’s still inside the large run that everyone else is in. So he’s still interacting with everyone while staying safe.
I rinsed the wound really well with warm running water and then coated it in regular Neosporin.
If you have any other ideas that could help him I’ll take it.
He’s my favorite little guy.
Everything you're doing is great, keep it up! I don't have any other suggestions. :)

Does anyone know what this is? I felt a lump on my rooster and found a weird mass that was bleeding. I cleaned it out with running water. It’s not his vent (I’m not even sure that’s what you call the roosters “opening”) it’s just above it.
He’s eating and drinking and was still running all around the coop. I don’t know what this is or what I should do.
Can you please show the location of this on his body?
A whole picture of him?

Any maggots in the wound?

Can you please show the location of this on his body?
A whole picture of him?

Any maggots in the wound?
No maggots, no smell or puss. Just blood. I’m 99% sure it’s his tail. It’s just above his vent, and it’s like a nub that sticks out. Sorry he’s in bed now so I can’t get another pic

Poor guy!

Sounds like his tail feather were ripped out.

Follow @Tookie instructions on wound care. Hopefully he'll heal up o.k. I sure would keep him from the hens until he heals because they will pick at his wounds.
I know I feel so bad! I’m out with them a lot and never saw anyone picking on him! So I was so surprised to find this.
Definitely keeping him separated for the time being, I’m very thankful I had an empty coop for him, it worked out well.

Back
Top Bottom