HELP! Rooster with swollen wattle and black infection

BeepersNChickChick

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 11, 2017
I have a rooster who recently got in a fight with my dog. The next day his one wattle became red and swollen. He had a slight fever and his wattle was hot to the touch. I gave him antibiotics and some baby aspirin. The fever went away the next day but his wattle got worse. It started turning purple and bruised. He also was very tired and barely ate or drank. He would hold his head down while standing as if the wattle was too heavy, but would perk up when you called him. I applied Neopsporin (without pain) to any open scratches, but wattle still remained swollen after week. He is now eating fine, full of energy, and pooping normal. His wattle looks like it is getting worse and the one area that was purple is turning black. Yesterday while putting on Neosporin it started oozing clear liquid and much of the swelling went down after gently squeezing. The black spot and slight swelling is still there. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• P6298199.JPG
    P6298199.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 99
  • P6308216.JPG
    P6308216.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 60
  • P7038233.JPG
    P7038233.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 54
If you managed to get rid of the puss, the blackening of the scab may be a good thing. I had a bird with a similar issue. Like you, I treated with antibiotics and that seemed to heal the open wound area underneath. After a few days I was trying to remove the scab, and it popped off, and looked like the size and shape of an M&M. Underneath the wattle was perfectly healed. I'm not advising trying to remove the scab, I'm simply sharing that the blackening of the scab may not be something to worry about.

I'm sure the ER experts will be along in a few hours to give constructive advice.
@Wyorp Rock ?

F80AEDC3-5CB4-4A5A-8307-7F029EAD62BE.JPG
Their scabs naturally turn black. It looks like he is healing and on the road to recovery! :yesss:
You can see my roosters scab after his fight. He was at county fair in this picture.

Hi @BeepersNChickChick :frow Welcome To BYC

It sounds like you are treating the wound well. I would think that the swelling is just fluid from injury.

Keep the Neosporin on it - draining clear would be normal. Watch for signs of infection, foul odor and thick pus.

He may benefit from extra protein like egg or tuna and some poultry vitamins for a few days as well.

The first pictures were taken 2 days after incident but the black mark appeared after 5 days. It's now been 13 days. How long does a scab take to heal and swelling to go down?

No odor. The oozing has stopped but wattle is still enlarged. Almost stiff to touch. Not like before when it was full of liquid. Here is an updated pic. Other than wattle, all other functions and behaviors are back to normal. Do you think he needs a 2nd round of antibiotics? I'm still adding Neosporan and trying to keep it clean. I put peroxide on it to flush it and no sizzling. Today will be 2 weeks from incident.

Attachments

• P7127848.JPG
    P7127848.JPG
    437.2 KB · Views: 43
  • P7127846.JPG
    P7127846.JPG
    395.9 KB · Views: 48

Back
Top Bottom