Crazy Duck Lover

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Southern United States 🇺🇸
My eggs are on day 4 of incubation. I ordered them from eBay. I candled them just to see if I could see anything yet. While I was candling, I noticed the air sacs lookd really big and oddly shaped. I’ve kept the temp at 99.5 and the humidity between 50-57 percent. They’re in an NR360, so they incubate on their sides and roll to be rotated. I was wondering if I need to up the humidity, or what do I need to do. I really want a good hatch rate because I have a niece on the way, and I want her to be around the ducks! Also, would they be able to hatch normally, or what? I’m very worried.

Could @Isaac 0 help?
A41CB553-C04A-4767-BE85-FA2B404DD3EA.jpeg

Attachments

• ADDD3906-5BBD-41D4-AF85-AF7243A51F69.jpeg
    ADDD3906-5BBD-41D4-AF85-AF7243A51F69.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 6DF50911-5D19-4352-B9A4-83C655AF7667.jpeg
    6DF50911-5D19-4352-B9A4-83C655AF7667.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
My eggs are on day 4 of incubation. I ordered them from eBay. I candled them just to see if I could see anything yet. While I was candling, I noticed the air sacs lookd really big and oddly shaped. I’ve kept the temp at 99.5 and the humidity between 50-57 percent. They’re in an NR360, so they incubate on their sides and roll to be rotated. I was wondering if I need to up the humidity, or what do I need to do. I really want a good hatch rate because I have a niece on the way, and I want her to be around the ducks! Also, would they be able to hatch normally, or what? I’m very worried.

Could @Isaac 0 help?View attachment 2581827
When you got the eggs, did you let them settle for 24 hours and reach room temperature? If you set them directly into the incubator it can cause these types of issues. Not sure how to correct it once it's done, but I'm sure someone here can help.

Saddle or disconnected air cells is usually caused by rough handling during shipping. I have only hatched quail but they seem to hatch ok with saddle shaped air cell. You can just watch to make sure the duckling pips into the air cell like it is supposed to. All that aside that air cell looks HUGE for day 4. You probably wont be able to see veins for a few more days but I'm betting the eggs are pretty old.

Saddle or disconnected air cells is usually caused by rough handling during shipping. I have only hatched quail but they seem to hatch ok with saddle shaped air cell. You can just watch to make sure the duckling pips into the air cell like it is supposed to. All that aside that air cell looks HUGE for day 4. You probably wont be able to see veins for a few more days but I'm betting the eggs are pretty old.
So should i up my humidity to try and shrink the air sac a bit?

You cant shrink it the most you can do is keep it from getting bigger. If they are all that big i would weigh them and write the weight on each egg and bump the humidity up just untill you can tell if they are fertile. That's what i would do but im no expert. Unless your other air cells are at least half that size I would bet those eggs are not fertile anymore.

You cant shrink it the most you can do is keep it from getting bigger. If they are all that big i would weigh them and write the weight on each egg and bump the humidity up just untill you can tell if they are fertile. That's what i would do but im no expert. Unless your other air cells are at least half that size I would bet those eggs are not fertile anymore.
:(

I actually just so happening to be having this same problem! But I am much further into incubation so I don’t know if the baby will make it now. Try keeping the egg vertical for the first seven days will help your egg sac become evened. Hope this helps!:fl

Back
Top Bottom