Crazy Duck Lover

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Southern United States 🇺🇸
My eggs are on day 4 of incubation. I ordered them from eBay. I candled them just to see if I could see anything yet. While I was candling, I noticed the air sacs lookd really big and oddly shaped. I’ve kept the temp at 99.5 and the humidity between 50-57 percent. They’re in an NR360, so they incubate on their sides and roll to be rotated. I was wondering if I need to up the humidity, or what do I need to do. I really want a good hatch rate because I have a niece on the way, and I want her to be around the ducks! Also, would they be able to hatch normally, or what? I’m very worried.

Could @Isaac 0 help?
A41CB553-C04A-4767-BE85-FA2B404DD3EA.jpeg

Attachments

• ADDD3906-5BBD-41D4-AF85-AF7243A51F69.jpeg
    ADDD3906-5BBD-41D4-AF85-AF7243A51F69.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 6DF50911-5D19-4352-B9A4-83C655AF7667.jpeg
    6DF50911-5D19-4352-B9A4-83C655AF7667.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Well I just have found out why my air sacs were so big, and why my eggs lost a bit too much weight for week 1. This whole time my Nurture Right 360 humidity sensor was malfunctioning and reading 15% lower than it actually was! So this whole time I thought it was 55%, it was actually 40%!
The air sacks appear large because of the shipping. Time and shakeing both contribute. 40% is a good humidity for the first part of incubation. Only when you get close to hatching (lock down) do you want to put the humidity up.

My eggs are on day 4 of incubation. I ordered them from eBay. I candled them just to see if I could see anything yet. While I was candling, I noticed the air sacs lookd really big and oddly shaped. I’ve kept the temp at 99.5 and the humidity between 50-57 percent. They’re in an NR360, so they incubate on their sides and roll to be rotated. I was wondering if I need to up the humidity, or what do I need to do. I really want a good hatch rate because I have a niece on the way, and I want her to be around the ducks! Also, would they be able to hatch normally, or what? I’m very worried.

Could @Isaac 0 help?View attachment 2581827
When you got the eggs, did you let them settle for 24 hours and reach room temperature? If you set them directly into the incubator it can cause these types of issues. Not sure how to correct it once it's done, but I'm sure someone here can help.

You cant shrink it the most you can do is keep it from getting bigger. If they are all that big i would weigh them and write the weight on each egg and bump the humidity up just untill you can tell if they are fertile. That's what i would do but im no expert. Unless your other air cells are at least half that size I would bet those eggs are not fertile anymore.
Just check all my air cells, and most of them seems to be normal!! There’s only like 2-3 with air cells like that! I’m hopeful!!🤞

Is it bad that the membrane has pulled away? It sounds like a stupid question, but i’m new to this!
It's not bad - it's just what happens when the eggs get jolted around a bit too much. As long as the yolk is still being supported by the chalazae (sometimes that gets damaged too) it should be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom