Help! Safe to butcher a frozen bird?

Lyricandnoah

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2017
We were away for the holidays and one of our hens died under our neighbors watch. He put her in our freezer thinking we would prefer not to waste the meat, which is true. We figured we would process her when we returned.

So we have an entire bird, feathers and all, that has been in the freezer for 3 days now. We planned to process tomorrow, but upon looking into it there seem to be some conflicting opinions as to whether the meat is safe to eat due to contamination from the guts when they begin thawing.

Thoughts on this? What if we just cut out the exterior meat that is not in contact with the intestines? Cited sources would be extra helpful. Thanks in advance!

Why did she die?
If not illness related she'll be okay to eat.
For example I snare rabbits during winter months for dog and human food.
If one freezes, I put it in the freezer, come cooking time I thaw it, clean and cut it up.

if it died from cold, then it's less likely it's a problem. but if it did not freeze on it's own right away, I'd be worried about the entrails and all that bacteria. that said, not much can handle 375f for 120 minutes. you could thaw it, clean it, inspect the meat, give it a good smell, cook it, then only eat a very small amount, wait a day and then have it for lunches or something if you don't get sick.

Back
Top Bottom