Help sexing 4 week old class chick

May 15, 2024
We have three chicks (jubilee orpington, salmon faverolle, and barred rock) from a local hatchery, and we feel pretty confident that they are all pullets as they all conform to what pullets of those breeds should look like. We also have a random fourth chick that was hatched in one of my kid's classrooms ("Class Chick" aka "Buddy"), and that we agreed to take as a birthday gift for our kid.

The school believed Class Chick to be a pullet based on attitude relative to others hatched, comparison of feet to others hatched, and very early tail feathers. Class Chick comes from a white egg fertilized on a rescue farm, and there is no way of knowing breed. Class Chick feathered earlier than any of our other chicks and seems to be growing faster than any of our other chicks.

However, seemingly overnight two nights ago, Class Chick went from absolutely no comb to a pretty large peachy comb. We cannot legally have a rooster, and the rescue farm will take Class Chick back if it is a roo. It will also devastate said kid who is extremely attached to Class Chick.

I know it is early still, and some breeds have larger combs. But I'd love thoughts and advice on what I'm dealing with here so I can make a prep plan for the kid (and also alert the rescue farm as early as possible). I've added a few early shots from school, pictures from two weeks old and pictures from today (4 weeks old).

Also, for fun, if you have ideas for what type of chick this is, we'd love to know that, too!

Attachments

• IMG_1142.jpeg
    IMG_1142.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0991.jpeg
    IMG_0991.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4953.jpeg
    IMG_4953.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4950.jpeg
    IMG_4950.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4944.jpeg
    IMG_4944.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4942.jpeg
    IMG_4942.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4713.jpeg
    IMG_4713.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 14
At 4 weeks, with that comb, heavy legs, and upright posture that is a cockerel. If you look at the 2-week-old photo you can see a difference in the thickness of the legs.

How fast they feather out is due to genetics, not sex. Same with how fast the tail feathers grow - genetics, not sex. Growing faster could be breed related since you don't know the breed. Some breeds are bigger so they grow faster. If they were the same breed growing faster would be an indication it could be a boy.

Back
Top Bottom