Help Sexing Barred Rock and one other

tiffanyrtrammell

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 13, 2011
Christiana, TN
Hello Everyone. Newbie here.
I wanted 4 laying hens a while back and my Hubbies parents found out I did.....

well they got me 13 baby chicks.
hu.gif

We have managed to keep them all and they are now about 10 weeks old I think. They were a few weeks old when they gave them to us.

I have read posts here many many times when I have had questions. GREAT FORUM and INFORMATION.

Hubby built them a coop a few weeks ago - still have nesting boxes to go. So far so good.

Time for my first post.

1st Pic - I think is a Barred Rock? This one has been my favorite out of the crew all along. Personality is great! But I am afraid she may be a he. I was just wanting hens for eggs. Don't think I need any roo roos. But kinda have an attachment to this one
wink.png

2nd Pic - Not sure what any of these ladies are but I think the one I arrowed out is another roo roo. This one I have no problem rehoming.

Any help is greatly appreciated as many of you have helped from just reading older post.

The first is a Barred Rock male. I adore Barred Rock roosters. They have led my flock until recently. First rooster I ever owned was a BR, my Hawkeye. When he died, his son, Zane, was going to be flock leader, but he was injured and crippled, so his younger brother, Dutch, took over. Dutch has passed away and Zane lives by himself since he can't use one leg. Now, I have my sweet Delaware in charge, but am growing out a new BR cockerel for the future. You can tell I'm partial to BRs.
smile.png

We have two BR cocks - Crackers and Checkers. They are juuussst to the thinking about crowing stage. Both sweet as can be. When it comes time to choose, I think Crackers will be the keeper. He sleeps in my lap!
wink.png

I think I am going to be one who favors the barred rocks to.
I have favored that one ever since they was babies. I had planned on having no roosters.
Rehoming any if they turned to be roosters.
But I think this one will be staying with us and the hens.

Thanks again folks

I have a Barred rock Rooster who is 6 weeks old right now and has become my favorite very quickly. Rocky runs up and jumps on my feet for attention every time he see's me.

I hope he keeps that sweet personality. I have a Barred Rock Pullet who loves to run up to me and peck my hand as hard as she can... That one I am thankful isn't a rooster..lol

Pic 1 - Barred Rock rooster
Pic 2 - 1 Production Red rooster (far right), 5 Production Red pullets, 1 Red Sexlink pullet (red/orange/white colored), and 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte pullet (black/gold colored).

Back
Top Bottom