HELP! Shipped eggs came too early!!

beneduck14

Songster
Feb 20, 2015
Cattlet, VA
So a company was supposed to send us 90 eggs this Sunday but they didn't know that fedex had overnight delivery so it's coming tomorrow morning!! Trouble is, I am going out of town in the afternoon after receiving the eggs and will be gone for 2 nights and 3 days! In total, the eggs will be sitting in the counter for almost 4. WHAT DO I DO??
(I can't start them in incubator because they are not in the mail yet and I cannot turn them when they are in storage because I'm not home!)

So a company was supposed to send us 90 eggs this Sunday but they didn't know that fedex had overnight delivery so it's coming tomorrow morning!! Trouble is, I am going out of town in the afternoon after receiving the eggs and will be gone for 2 nights and 3 days! In total, the eggs will be sitting in the counter for almost 4. WHAT DO I DO??
(I can't start them in incubator because they are not in the mail yet and I cannot turn them when they are in storage because I'm not home!)
I've hatched a couple of times. I always starty incubator a day or two before I set eggs. Just to make sure it is steady temps and humidity. But iive never hatched shipped eggs. They may be fine sitting on the counter for a few days as long as the big end of the egg is up. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in soon.

I've done shipped eggs before (and they were REALLY beat up during shipping). There is a tension between not wanting the eggs to be too old and wanting the eggs to rest upright (and not turned) for a bit after shipping before setting n the hopes that the air cell reattaches.

I think things will be ok. By that, I mean that while I can't swear that it might be slight better if less delay, many of us wait before setting anyhow. Letting them sit with the fat end upright for a little bit allows the air cell, if dislodged/rolling, to reattach.

There is some really great advice in the links at the beginning of this thread. My thought though is that the delay will not be a major factor in the end, many times actual handling during shipping is the issue.

EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine. Hosts, BantyChooks and more! Look for where it says "Shipped eggs - change of plans" especially. Prepare yourself to read a lot.

I'd also recommend posting to that same thread if you have questions. It's unusually quiet now (has previously been super active), but folks who either know the answers or know where to point you for the answers are on every day.

And, just to make you feel better, I got seven sweet beautiful chicks out of this, with the assistance of the advice in that thread (I didn't set the cracked ones, just demonstrating the severe handling issues):

Shipped6.JPG
Shipped8.JPG

- Ant Farm

It's quiet over there (Sally has baby goats and has gone awol, several others have taken a break) - come visit us and give us an update on your hatched chicks!!! :D
I sure will. I hate that so many has taken a break. It's like that at grannys too. They're starting to slowly make their way back though. Well im fixing to go to bed. I was going a hour or so ago but got suckered in to another thread. Good night.

I sure will. I hate that so many has taken a break. It's like that at grannys too. They're starting to slowly make their way back though. Well im fixing to go to bed. I was going a hour or so ago but got suckered in to another thread. Good night.

I think that with the break during the conversion folks saw how productive they were when not chatting all the time... :lau

In all seriousness, I think it's also just a busy time for folks who care for livestock and gardening//farming.

Nonetheless, we'd love to hear how your chicks are doing (and you know, of course, that pics are ESSENTIAL!!!)

:thumbsup:hugs

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom