Safeguard dosing is by weight - 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

It settles out of water and you would be depending on birds drinking enough to get a correct dose - most find this is an ineffective way to treat birds.

Molt can cause a bird to feel unwell for a short period of time.

There are 4 forms of Marek's disease - the Ocular Form does affect the eyes and could cause it to turn grey or misshaped. The other forms can affect skin, nerves and internal organs. The only way to really know would be if a bird dies and necropsy/testing is performed. There is no cure for Marek's disease. Supportive care can given which includes pretty much what you are doing - Giving vitamins that include B vitamins, deworming, keeping external parasites under control, etc.

It's very possible that she may have a reproductive disorder that is causing the decline. Cancer, tumors, EYP, etc., can also be very common in laying hens. These conditions can cause the weight loss and slow decline as well.
Thank you! Is there a dewormer you recommend? Preferably that can go in water so I do not have to dose each chicken each day? I have ruled out molting. With mareks since there is no cure, do I just continue support therapy until she dies? Its been almost 3 months. :( Im hoping it isnt mareks but I am unsure of other possible choices. I appreciate the advice.

Thank you! Is there a dewormer you recommend? Preferably that can go in water so I do not have to dose each chicken each day? I have ruled out molting. With mareks since there is no cure, do I just continue support therapy until she dies? Its been almost 3 months. :( Im hoping it isnt mareks but I am unsure of other possible choices. I appreciate the advice.
Safeguard or Valbazen is what I would use. Both are dosed by weight and given orally.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days. This may be a little easier for you.

Since this has been going on for months, she may have some reproductive issues at play. It's really hard to pinpoint sometimes. If she's able to get around a little, seems relatively happy within herself, then I would leave her with the flock and just access her daily.

Hi I have a hen going through similar problems. she is about 5 or 6 years old and was fine a week ago but has started acting listless. she is eating well but has started losing weight and just standing around with her tail down and head up against her neck. i was hoping one of you could help me.
Welcome To BYC

You may want to start your own thread so we can address your specific issues.
With an older bird, often reproductive issues are the cause of lethargy and decline. Is her crop emptying overnight? Any bloat or swelling of the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

A little backstory: I have a Lavender Orpington hen that was born June 2019. She was vaccinated for Mereks by the hatchery before being shipped. On September 2020 she was attacked by a wild animal and survived bites on her back and neck. With a lot of TLC, she was better and acting normal with time. She got worms (visible in poop) from the bite but was dewormed (with Wazine 17) and has otherwise been fine. Not sure if this is important but this is the only incident that directly affects her.

The problem: In August 2021 we noticed a change in her behavior. It is now November 2021 and she is still alive but wasting away. She still eats (Purina layena crumbles) and drinks but feels skinnier every day. She doesnt run from us anymore, acts lethargic, eats laying down, and has not laid an egg in at least a month. She is starting to lose more feathers randomly. I feel like she isnt getting enough nutrition even with eating and is losing energy. She has trouble walking and lays down all the time. She will slowly walk a few steps and then lay down. She still has a small appetite and walks up to the roost at night with the others. No bullying from the others but shes usually by herself laying down.

This has been going on for months and Im not sure what would cause this very slow death. She is the only chicken with these symptoms. Since then we have tried everything including vitamins, nail trim, epson salt bath, DE, wazine dewormer and nothing has worked. I am out of ideas and feel terrible seeing her in this condition. Please help. She is my favorite chicken, a fighter and wants to live. She survived a brutal attack and I would hate for her to die of something I can fix. Thank you in advance.

Pictures are from August and September 2021
Edit. We are located in Florida. These attached photos were taken November 5, 2021

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg