Help! Sick chicken!

Chicken0223

Chirping
Jun 11, 2021
Please help! My barred rock is very listless and lethargic. She’s just standing around. Isn’t eating or drinking. A few people on here confirmed that she does have fowl pox, but she seems to be doing pretty bad. I did see a little yellow dot in her mouth so thinking it may be wet pox. I have her in a cage in garage. I’ve given her vitamins by mouth and water dropped in mouth. She tried to eat a strawberry and wasn’t able to swallow it. She just barely pecks at it. She did lay an egg before I brought her in garage so she’s not egg bound. Please I need some thoughts or advise. Is this normal for fowl pox or could it be something else?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 15
Wet form of pox can kill as it creates lesions in the mouth and throat making eating and swallowing difficult.

One alternative is to tube feed until the pox subsides. Any vet should have a tube feeding kit you can buy from them. My vet sold me one for $3.

You slip the tube down the esophagus directly into the crop and push liquid food and water into her several times a day. You can stick the vitamins right into the mix and get it all done together. This shows where the tube will go.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Have you looked back into her beak and throat? Is there a bad odor, or does it smell like always? If she has wet fowl pox, that can be much more serious. Canker can appear a lot like wet pox, and it smells bad. I would encourage her to drink water, and five her a dose of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell daily. Encourage some bits of scrambled egg, wet chicken feed, even canned cat food. Tube feeding could be done if you can’t keep her drinking.

How many days have she been listless listless not eating, what is summer temps where you are at? These may contribute to her health.
We have fowl pox going on too, so I emphasize, it can be scary.

The listlessness started today. The scabs on her comb and wattle have been there for about 7-10 days. We live in Jacksonville, FL - temps between 85-100. HOT! Also it’s been rainy. Her throat and beak look totally normal. I don’t smell anything bad - just normal chicken breath. There’s just a small yellow looking dot on her inside mouth - could it possibly not be wet fowl pox and the canker? If so is there something else I should do? What exactly is a “dose” of the nutridrench. I do have it but am confused exactly how much to give her. My son helped me soak her food with water and she did eat some of that tonight. I can tell she’s really hungry.

And the yellow dot is more on her inside “lip” - I know they don’t have lips - but that’s the general area.

The listlessness started today. The scabs on her comb and wattle have been there for about 7-10 days. We live in Jacksonville, FL - temps between 85-100. HOT! Also it’s been rainy. Her throat and beak look totally normal. I don’t smell anything bad - just normal chicken breath. There’s just a small yellow looking dot on her inside mouth - could it possibly not be wet fowl pox and the canker? If so is there something else I should do? What exactly is a “dose” of the nutridrench. I do have it but am confused exactly how much to give her. My son helped me soak her food with water and she did eat some of that tonight. I can tell she’s really hungry.
Dose of Nutri-Drench is 1 cc per 3 pounds of weight.

1624332410884.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom