HELP!! :( sick chicks!

sumlbro

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2018
Soooo I came home from work Wednesday and went to feed and water my chickens. (7 hens and 1 Roo) When I got to the coop, one of my hens had passed away of unknown causes. Then yesterday I came home and another hen was lethargic, but not passed away yet. I went into the coop and tried to look for any lesions/wounds but did not find any. She usually is very standoffish and doesn't let me handle her, but she didn't try to fight me. She could barely stand and when she was standing she pooed. It was very watery with a little bit of white and some blood. I removed her from the coop, and was googling to try to find out the cause, but she ended up passing away. I feed them medicated laying pellets and give them fresh water regularly and just cleaned their coop and put out new bedding. My husband is going to let the chickens out today and clean their coop really well for me again. But my question - what could this possibly be and what can I do to prevent it from happening to my other chicks? :(

How hot has it been there? Coccidiosis or dehydration can be possible. Get some Corid to treat the water for possible coccidiosis right away. The blood in the poop is a symptom. Dosage is 1.5 tsp of Corid powder or 2 tsp. of Corid liquid per gallon of water. Treat all for 5-7 days. They need to drink normally, if not, give them the liquid orally with a dropper. Here is a link for giving the concentrated drench for one that won’t drink well:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Thank you all!! I got some medicine to put in their water and so far there have been no further incidents. It has been super hot down here in SW Louisiana. I also purchased another watering jug for them so they have two now. All seems well for now. Thank you all again! :) Pictures added! Also, if anyone can tell me what gender my dark brown and yellow are? One is an Americana/Easter Egger (I believe) and the other is a buff orpington(also I believe). I can't tell if they are hens or roos. Both are very docile and loving :)

Attachments

• chk1.jpg
    chk1.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 7
  • chk2.jpg
    chk2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 6
Great news!
I am glad to hear you haven't lost anymore.

As far as telling the gender...
Can you take close up pictures of each bird by itself.

Back
Top Bottom