Help! Sick day old chick

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
I ordered some day old chicks they came in the mail. It's been pretty cold so I was very worried of them all. One has been weak. Pretty lifeless, going on day 2 now since I picked them up from the post office. Had pasty butt so I cleaned it off got her all warm again and thought that was all. But she's just gotten worse. I've been feeding egg yolk with some electrolyte water in a small dropper. She pooped which is good. But she's barely hanging on. Getting her to eat is a huge challenge. Now I noticed her foot is very swollen? I have removed her from the rest because they would just walk all over her. She can't hold her body or head up just flops to the side. So I propped her up with some socks. What else can I do for her if anything? What is wrong with her leg? I assumed maybe one of the others injured her foot because I didn't notice it until now, but wasn't really looking.

Attachments

• 20240111_112023.jpg
    20240111_112023.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20240111_112029.jpg
    20240111_112029.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240111_112012.jpg
    20240111_112012.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240111_111616.jpg
    20240111_111616.jpg
    976.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240111_094255.jpg
    20240111_094255.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 12
I would continue getting her to drink electrolyte water and try feeding moistened chick crumbles and egg. Dip her beak often. She looks to have a broken or sprained foot, so that could be why she is weak from not being able to get enough food or water. She may have been weaker to start with. They may have gotten cold in the mail, since it is freezing in many parts of the country. Pasty butt continues to happen for about 10 days, so keep checking for that. Once they show signs of weakness, they may not make it, but hopefully, you can save her. I would try a chick sling chair, and here are examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I would continue getting her to drink electrolyte water and try feeding moistened chick crumbles and egg. Dip her beak often. She looks to have a broken or sprained foot, so that could be why she is weak from not being able to get enough food or water. She may have been weaker to start with. They may have gotten cold in the mail, since it is freezing in many parts of the country. Pasty butt continues to happen for about 10 days, so keep checking for that. Once they show signs of weakness, they may not make it, but hopefully, you can save her. I would try a chick sling chair, and here are examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
I tried to keep her with everyone so she wasn't alone since they weren't necessarily pecking her. But they did walk over her so now I feel so awful about her foot getting injured when she was already weak. How often should I dip her beak? I try about every hour at least to do the electrolyte solution. And egg yolk multiple times a day even if just a few drops. Worried of drowning her so don't want to over do it either. I will try the sling and keep at it and hope for a positive outcome. But she really does seem pretty far gone unfortunately 😭😭

I would dip her beak in the water as often as possible for short drinks. Let us know how she is getting along, and good luck.
Thank you. I now have another that doesn't seem to be eating or drinking, and sleepy. I could just be paranoid because she's chirping and otherwise ok. The others are just bouncing around constantly eating and drinking and she's more secluded. I am giving her some of the egg yolk mix too, but she fights and tries to fly off lol.

Yes, if one had shipping stress, it is good to notice any others. This can be a hard time of year for shipped chicks with the low temps.

Yes, if one had shipping stress, it is good to notice any others. This can be a hard time of year for shipped chicks with the low temps.
Yes I definitely won't be ordering more this time of year. Unfortunately the original baby I posted about just passed. I feel so awful. Wish I could have saved her.

Could this have possibly been mycoplasma synoviae? And the first chick passing spread to this second chick that is now not doing well. I am asking because of the way the foot looked on the first one, and the eyes were unable to open. What do I do? I'm worried because I did not quarantine this new ill chick and they are most likely all infected now if that's the case. I am very worried if anyone has any insight. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom