HELP. SMALL CHICKEN RUN.

Is the run going to have a roof?

If the run really is predator proof when it is done, and if it has a roof, then you can treat it as an open-air chicken coop. Then the "coop" in the picture can just be used for nestboxes and perches. The common guideline for 4 square feet of floor space per chicken in the coop is assuming they spend time in the coop on rainy days, in the morning before you let them out, and so forth. But if the run is secure enough, you do not need to EVER shut them into the coop for safety, and if the run has a roof the chickens should be able to come out and use it in all weather. So they will effectively be living in a "coop" with 10 square feet each, lots of ventilation, and an attached little building for nests and roosting.
1007211908.jpg

Update picture. It is only like 1/3rd covered. I am not the happiest camper about that. It's washington. Rain. Snow. Yeah.... Well... Anyone have any tips? My dads girlfriend is obsessed with things looking good so I doubt she'd let me lay a tarp over it 🙁
On the other hand they are out there really late finishing it up so I guess that's cool. No predator proofing on the bottom though 😐 hmmm.

Good thing my dad agrees we need something there. Although he says "it'll work for now" 😬

❤️The guys worked on it all day today and it definitly looks nice. Only thing is they are using cattle fencing which is awesome for how strong it is... like i don't have to worry about bears and etc. but really not good with all the raccoons...minks...you know what I mean. I don't think these people get what raccoons can do through fencing to chickens.

If the body of the raccoon cannot come in, then the raccoon can only reach a certain distance-- maybe a foot or two. So if the chickens sleep at least that far away from the fence, the raccoons shouldn't be able to reach them.

I've also read of raccoons working together, so one scares the chickens into a corner and another grabs them through the wire on that side. The solution is to put piece of plywood against the fence on two sides of one or two corners, so the chickens have an unreachable place to huddle (because they aren't smart enough to just huddle in the middle out of reach.

I'm not sure what to do about mink, other than covering the whole thing in hardware cloth, because they can go through small spaces.
Sadly I live in washington where the winters get freezing and with the mistake of getting silkies that just worries me 😅 by summer their coop will definitly be predator proofed and I'll be able to let them sleep outside but sense winter in coming... brr.:oops:
Chickens are usually fine down below freezing, as long as they are dry and out of the wind. But they will probably be fine sleeping in the coop you have, especially if you are able to leave the pop door open so they can go to the run just as soon as they wake up (maybe not, if there are mink around.)

And I would expect they can at least use the run in the winter, since it will have a roof.

I see trees, so there might be enough shelter from wind. But if you find wind whistling through the run in the winter, try adding tarps on one or two sides to block the wind. Be sure to secure them well, because a flapping tarp will shred itself pretty quickly, but they are an easy way to block wind that is also fairly cheap. Just expect to buy new ones each winter, because they will probably be in bad shape by spring.

It is only like 1/3rd covered. I am not the happiest camper about that. It's washington. Rain. Snow. Yeah.... Well... Anyone have any tips? My dads girlfriend is obsessed with things looking good so I doubt she'd let me lay a tarp over it 🙁

I see you posted this while I was typing ideas about tarps :lol: Maybe that can change if the weather gets bad, especially if you can make it look nice (green for Christmas? or orange for Halloween? Hang a wreath and some lights, or big pumpkins, or hearts for Valentine's Day so the tarp is a nice backdrop to a seasonal decoration?) Or maybe you could just put it up one winter day, and if someone complains you can assure them it'll come down when the weather gets nice. A tarp on the top like a roof will probably not work, because rain or snow can easily collect on top and get heavy enough to rip the tarp.

You won't want mud on the ground in that run, so I suggest you put in lots of materials like wood chips, pine needles, dead leaves, etc. They soak up some water, cover the actual mud, and give the chickens something to stand up on instead of having wet feet. They will also slowly compost, and chickens usually like to scratch through them. Just add materials as you can get them, and it's fine for them to end up piled a foot or more deep. Whatever kind of bedding you use in the coop can probably be put in the run too, when you clean the coop.

❤️The guys worked on it all day today and it definitly looks nice. Only thing is they are using cattle fencing which is awesome for how strong it is... like i don't have to worry about bears and etc. but really not good with all the raccoons...minks...you know what I mean. I don't think these people get what raccoons can do through fencing to chickens.
So this part you can do yourself, provided you can get the materials. Hardware cloth around the bottom 2-3' of the run, and that will do a lot to prevent raccoons reaching in and tearing out chunks of chicken. I'd suggest aproning out some hardware cloth as well (1-2'), to prevent dig ins. If you need to do it bit by bit over time that's better than nothing.

So this part you can do yourself, provided you can get the materials. Hardware cloth around the bottom 2-3' of the run, and that will do a lot to prevent raccoons reaching in and tearing out chunks of chicken. I'd suggest aproning out some hardware cloth as well (1-2'), to prevent dig ins. If you need to do it bit by bit over time that's better than nothing.
Yesss
problem is my dad wants them out of the garage NOW and builders aren't finished yet with the roof. It's still peeled back (the wire) so anything could come in right now. Also they left huge gaps on the floor, not enough for the chicks to escape but big enough for minks and others to come in. I'll upload pics around 12 tomorrow (WA time) of the thing in light.

My dad will kick the chicks out probably in the next day or two and this is what he says: "They'll be fine for now", "the food smell will take a while to travel" and my favorite "it won't be a problem because they'll be sleeping in the coop at night" (because daytime predators don't exist... yep. Don't we all wish though?).

If the body of the raccoon cannot come in, then the raccoon can only reach a certain distance-- maybe a foot or two. So if the chickens sleep at least that far away from the fence, the raccoons shouldn't be able to reach them.

I've also read of raccoons working together, so one scares the chickens into a corner and another grabs them through the wire on that side. The solution is to put piece of plywood against the fence on two sides of one or two corners, so the chickens have an unreachable place to huddle (because they aren't smart enough to just huddle in the middle out of reach.

I'm not sure what to do about mink, other than covering the whole thing in hardware cloth, because they can go through small spaces.

Chickens are usually fine down below freezing, as long as they are dry and out of the wind. But they will probably be fine sleeping in the coop you have, especially if you are able to leave the pop door open so they can go to the run just as soon as they wake up (maybe not, if there are mink around.)

And I would expect they can at least use the run in the winter, since it will have a roof.

I see trees, so there might be enough shelter from wind. But if you find wind whistling through the run in the winter, try adding tarps on one or two sides to block the wind. Be sure to secure them well, because a flapping tarp will shred itself pretty quickly, but they are an easy way to block wind that is also fairly cheap. Just expect to buy new ones each winter, because they will probably be in bad shape by spring.

I see you posted this while I was typing ideas about tarps :lol: Maybe that can change if the weather gets bad, especially if you can make it look nice (green for Christmas? or orange for Halloween? Hang a wreath and some lights, or big pumpkins, or hearts for Valentine's Day so the tarp is a nice backdrop to a seasonal decoration?) Or maybe you could just put it up one winter day, and if someone complains you can assure them it'll come down when the weather gets nice. A tarp on the top like a roof will probably not work, because rain or snow can easily collect on top and get heavy enough to rip the tarp.

You won't want mud on the ground in that run, so I suggest you put in lots of materials like wood chips, pine needles, dead leaves, etc. They soak up some water, cover the actual mud, and give the chickens something to stand up on instead of having wet feet. They will also slowly compost, and chickens usually like to scratch through them. Just add materials as you can get them, and it's fine for them to end up piled a foot or more deep. Whatever kind of bedding you use in the coop can probably be put in the run too, when you clean the coop.
Well what a coincidence lol! We'll see about the tarp thing aha...
I will definitly do it if the snow and wind is too much. They cant complain if im saving my chickens right? Lol. BTW we will be adding wood chips to the run to even it out, help with smell, and drain well!! Hoping that helps with the nasty feets. I have some mini big wire spools ima put in the run, too... can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom