Help! Sneezing and droopy eyes.

Zoboomafoo20

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2021
Hello! So we have been having issues with our chickens. We have 3 and all of them have the sickness. One is disabled (can’t walk good) and her nose gets clogged. I have to clean it a few times a day so she can breathe, and her nose stinks. She also has one droopy eyelid. (I’ve seen things about Coryza, would VetRX help?) and Koala (dark brown with orange neck feathers) has one bad eye that she keeps closed and only opens sometimes. It is droopy when she opens it. My other girl (all orange) has just been sneezing and having a little trouble with breathing. I have been using VetRX and not much is working. What do I do, and how do I treat this? Thank you! The first two photos are of Koala, which has the droopy eye. The only problem with Mochi (orange) is sneezing, so there isn’t really much to photograph. Meep (with bad feet) will be posted later. She stays in my room, since she hates being outside and can’t get around.

Attachments

• 38596AFB-4543-47B2-A625-44847B1E0C56.jpeg
    38596AFB-4543-47B2-A625-44847B1E0C56.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 1264F351-17B1-48CD-BDEE-463941A5F67A.jpeg
    1264F351-17B1-48CD-BDEE-463941A5F67A.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 4
  • E2780F3A-723C-4448-9036-74E57782D7EB.jpeg
    E2780F3A-723C-4448-9036-74E57782D7EB.jpeg
    547.7 KB · Views: 4
Vet rx doesn't do much in my opinion . You can get antibiotics for chickens online if you dont live in CA. I use tylan 50 but others use baytril. I give orally. There is a useful video on here about giving oral meds via a needle. If you have a tractor supply store around you can call them too and ask for chicken antibiotics. . I think they keep it refrigerated in back so ask. I've never needed a prescription in fl or MA.

Vet rx doesn't do much in my opinion . You can get antibiotics for chickens online if you dont live in CA. I use tylan 50 but others use baytril. I give orally. There is a useful video on here about giving oral meds via a needle. If you have a tractor supply store around you can call them too and ask for chicken antibiotics. . I think they keep it refrigerated in back so ask. I've never needed a prescription in fl or MA.
Thank you! Yeah, we are in Fl so that would help! 😃

You would first really need to know what sickness they have.

You mention Coryza - do they have a bad odor about them?
Coryza symptoms are generally treated with Sulfa antibiotics.

If you are dealing with Mycoplasma, then symptoms are usually treated with an antibiotic like Tylosin/Tylan, Tiamulin (Denagard) or Tetracyclines.

Making sure the birds have plenty of ventilation, fresh air and sunshine will be helpful.
Keep eyes flushed out with saline and use an eye ointment like Terramycin if they have bubbly eyes or a discharge.

Some respiratory diseases are chronic and most all of them make birds carriers for life even when they recover.

Make sure they are eating/drinking well.

Here's more info about poultry diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

You would first really need to know what sickness they have.

You mention Coryza - do they have a bad odor about them?
Coryza symptoms are generally treated with Sulfa antibiotics.

If you are dealing with Mycoplasma, then symptoms are usually treated with an antibiotic like Tylosin/Tylan, Tiamulin (Denagard) or Tetracyclines.

Making sure the birds have plenty of ventilation, fresh air and sunshine will be helpful.
Keep eyes flushed out with saline and use an eye ointment like Terramycin if they have bubbly eyes or a discharge.

Some respiratory diseases are chronic and most all of them make birds carriers for life even when they recover.

Make sure they are eating/drinking well.

Here's more info about poultry diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044
Thank you! Yeah, my chick Meep has bubbles in one of her eyes. I’ve seen it in Koala, but there are no more bubbles. My chicken Meep has really bad smelling boogers, so that might be it. She seems to be having trouble breathing as well. She is the only one whose nose clogs up.

Are there any lesions inside her beak?

Bubbles in the eyes can be an indication of MG, but if there's a bad odor that could be Coryza.
No, there are no lesions. Yeah, I don’t know! She doesn’t have any bubbles now, but just the bad smell. My guess would be Coryza, but we will take Meep to see a vet soon. I am saving up money to take them. Thank you!

If there's a bad odor then you would want to get her treatment pretty quickly.
Look inside her beak for lesions just to make sure that's not the cause of the odor.

Coryza does have a reported bad smell, so if that's the case, treating with a Sulfa antibiotic may treat symptoms.

If there's a bad odor then you would want to get her treatment pretty quickly.
Look inside her beak for lesions just to make sure that's not the cause of the odor.

Coryza does have a reported bad smell, so if that's the case, treating with a Sulfa antibiotic may treat symptoms.
Yeah, I do not see any lesions. Her boogers smell pretty bad, so I would think it’s Coryza, but I don’t know for sure. Thank you so much for your help!

Hello! So we have been having issues with our chickens. We have 3 and all of them have the sickness. One is disabled (can’t walk good) and her nose gets clogged. I have to clean it a few times a day so she can breathe, and her nose stinks. She also has one droopy eyelid. (I’ve seen things about Coryza, would VetRX help?) and Koala (dark brown with orange neck feathers) has one bad eye that she keeps closed and only opens sometimes. It is droopy when she opens it. My other girl (all orange) has just been sneezing and having a little trouble with breathing. I have been using VetRX and not much is working. What do I do, and how do I treat this? Thank you! The first two photos are of Koala, which has the droopy eye. The only problem with Mochi (orange) is sneezing, so there isn’t really much to photograph. Meep (with bad feet) will be posted later. She stays in my room, since she hates being outside and can’t get around.
I find VetRx does not help when it comes to respiratory problems, it's more like vapor rub for chickens. Last year I dealt with Mycoplasma in my whole flock and had to cull everyone that didn't pass and clean my coop before we got any more chickens, so definitely monitor their symptoms.
I recommend getting Tylan 50 or Tylosin powder and putting apple cider vinegar in the water.
If it's something else respiratory wise like Coryza, I'd recommend getting antibiotics from a vet.
Also I've heard from some people living in hot and humid areas saying that it causes respiratory issues sometimes too... not sure if that's true.

Back
Top Bottom