HELP! Something wrong with cat and we cant see vet!

I'm glad to hear it's just asthma. Just keep in mind that even the most controlled asthmatic can have an attack that is life threatening. If possible I would try to put a little money back each month and make it an emergency fund for him in case he does have one of those attacks. Good luck with everything!

Thank you all so much for your support, and Kelly yes, we do plan on doing that, especially since we know now that the series of steroid shots are $60 we've decided we want an emergency pet fund of at least $150 so if he would need it, he coud afford that and the cough suppressent that is $90 for a month at least in an emergency.
Altho...there is another twist to the story with the dog, however I have some things to do and will fill you all in as soon as I can...I can't believe how it's all tied together!

Michelle, Thanks for the update and the relatively good news! I am so glad it appears not to be cardiomyopathy. So happy for your cat, for you.......
One of my vet offices is a holistic operation and they often mention the possibility of asthma being caused by allerigies. They treat the allergies (holistically and noninvasively - it's an energy treatment) and wallah, asthma subsides. In your cat's case, it may be the smoke so what you are doing - keeping him away from it - plus if you can add an air purifier, may make a big difference. I don't know if you mean cigarette smoke but when my mom smoked (she quit 9 years ago after 50 years of smoking), if I so much as I walked in her house (even when no one was smoking) I had an allergic reaction; it's in the walls, the upholstery etc. Her kind Christmas presents to me would have to be kept in my backyard for 2 weeks in mid winter to try to shake the smoke smell. If I brought an item into the house the whole house would smell. She thought I was nuts until a couple years after she quit and now she can smell it everywhere it lingers, now that her sense of smell has restored/healed. She kids me that she hated to tell me I was telling the truth!
JJ

so what I was going to tell you all
The dr determined my cats asthma was due to the smoke in the upper part of the house, well my dad lives in that part and thats why all the smoke is there, but the dog that had the same symptoms? She's my brothers dog, but he is out west right now working on a harvesting train. Though she is his baby. So she went to the vet too, and had the same test and xrays, only her lungs are much worse than the cats because she lives upstairs. She has chronic asthma and the dr put her on prednisone pills, some sort of cough medicine so she rests her lungs, and albuterol but he still doesnt think her lungs will get better. He thinks they will get to where she can manage to breathe ok, but she will never have the stamina to run around a ton, etc again. He said we're lucky she is still alive. So imagine how ticked off my brother is being halfway across the country and unable to do anything, and knowing it's all because even tho we all have begged him to stop for years, he won't quit smoking. Or at least smoke outside. The vet even chewed him out, and the way he sees it neither of HIS dogs ever had a problem and these arent his pets so he has nothing to worry about! Makes me
somad.gif
rant.gif
My whole thought it, my cat will be ok, he has the meds now and we keep him out of the smoke now (he wont get any sun but...he'll be able to breathe at least) but what about his 6 year old grandson that has lived in that air since he was a baby?! His lungs are surely smaller than that of a 60lb dog so c'mon....you won't even stop for HIS sake?!
grrrrr sorry about the mild rant...he's been a heavy smoker all my life, and noone has ever gotten him to stop before for any reason even after two heart attacks, a quadruple bypass, and losing half his foot to cardiovascular problems so I'm sure he's not about to stop it just ticked me off that he doesn't care enough about anyone else either! You wanna kill urself FINE, but atleast let everyone else live healthily!

Completely understand your frustration. It's so sad really. Investing in the best air purifiers you can find may be the best short term solution, upstairs, downstairs, everywhere!
JJ

Back
Top Bottom