Help sorting out McMurray's Heavy Mix (Pic heavy)

DCS

Songster
11 Years
Nov 26, 2008
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to this, and need to pick some brains. I am going to presume that I got all roosters unless you tell me otherwise. (Partly because there were 5 Cornish X in the batch, which are in the freezer now. And weren't supposed to be in the mix to begin with. But anyway...) So I'm not sure that I really got the Heavy Straight Run mix that I ordered. Looking at the bright side, they've been fun, entertaining, and quite delicious. And hopefully there will be at least a couple of eventual layers. Sigh.

I have a vague idea of what some of them are, but need some help. All are 13 weeks old. If you can at least give me ideas of breeds, that would be a start. This isn't all of them, but it's most of them.

There are 3 of these. I think they are barred rocks.
Roo, I presume? (There's another identical to this one)
Pic #1
016.jpg

And Hen, I hope?
017-2.jpg

I think these are australorps, but can't tell any difference between the comb/wattles at this point. All roos? (I can take it... I will just need a bigger freezer.) Oh, and I'm not sure which are in the photos... they were all running around, and since I obviously can't tell who is who, well, the same one may appear a few times. There are 3 total.

024.jpg

027-1.jpg

What am I? Since I'm big, I presume Roo... I think there are a few more like this one, but their colors are slightly different...
043-1.jpg

Maybe the same as above?
003-4.jpg

Please say I'm a hen. And what am I? She was the only one like her... I have poured through pics and catalogs, and I can't tell.

029.jpg

023-1.jpg

There was one of me too. I have no idea...
001-1.jpg

And these guys, there are 4 of them, but they are all slightly different... I don't know if I have variation within a breed or what. A couple have more of the red, and a couple have more green.

005-1.jpg

010.jpg

012-2.jpg

All help appreciated!!
Danielle and the 18 unknowns. (Well, I think one is a Partridge Rock Roo... he's pretty bossy and colorful, but I'll post him next time.)

(edited to add #s to pics)

Last edited:
From the website...

"Our Heavy Assorted Straight Run combination is for the customer that wants some birds to eat and some to keep for layers of large brown eggs. Each of these assortments will give you at least 5 different heavy breeds. Our choice of varieties, but we guarantee at least 5 different ones from this list: Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Columbian, Partridge, Buff Rocks; Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star."

Since I don't see Cornish Cross on that list, I presume it's not exactly limited to these... but they are supposed to be these. We lost 2 chicks, one to pecking and one to, um, gravity. (He got squished under the waterer somehow. Natural Selection at work.)

looks like a colorful variety anyway, some nice roosters too. Looks like to me you got more EEs than anything, and that's not a bad thing.

There are no cornish cross in that assortment. They are calling it the Heavy Assortment because they are the heavier breeds. The roosters can be butchered they just grow at a much slower rate than the Cornish Cross but before they had cornish cross that is what people used for the meat birds. I can only guess on how many roosters you will end up with. How old are they in the picture? Someone out there will be able to tell. We did straight run one time with the rainbows and ended up with 80% roosters. Thankfully we ordered other breeds of only females.
Good luck. I started as an adult (we moved onto a hobby farm when I was in 5th grade and had chickens) with a little fuzzy knowledge and I am addicted to my flock. Our McMurray catalog looks like it is a year old already and we have only had it for a month or two. The cover is about to fall off. Good luck.

My guesses:
pic 1 - barred rock roo
pic 2 - BR pullet
pic 3 - black australorps, giants, or black stars (can't tell if there is any brown on them - pullets
pic 4 - black star - pullet
pic 5 - rooster - not sure which kind - maybe new hampshire
pic 6 - Easter Egger (what they call Americauna) roo (note green legs & comb type)
pic 7 & 8 - EE pullet
pic 9 - EE roo
pic 10 & 11 - EE roos

Well, all of the huge white birds with chunky legs are in the freezer... they were quite a big bigger, didn't do much, and dressed out between 4-6 lbs at 9-12 weeks.

And someone else posted about getting Cornish X in their Heavy assortment, ordered the same week mine was. (There was a thread with lots of pics... it's here somewhere) I couldn't say for sure, I mean, they could have been white rocks, but they were massive. The general consensus here was that they were Cornish Xs.

Easter Eggers aren't on that list, are they? I mean, I don't mind, but I thought it would be breeds from the list.

Thanks so much! I hadn't even noticed the green legs. Duh.

Last edited:
Quote:
I also noticed they are not on the list, but they definitely look like Easter Eggers to me and they don't look like anything on the list. They have the pea combs, green legs, and their coloring looks like some of the EEs I've seen. I think EEs are classified as heavy breeds, but the Americaunas are usually on the hatcheries' list of rare or unusual breeds so they probably add them when available as a bonus. Our Easter Egger hens are very calm & sweet - some of our favorite chickens.

The only ones I know for absolutely sure is that the first is a BR and the last three are EEs. I did see a black star in that pic with the two black (austrolorps or giants or some other basically black chick).

Hm... interesting. Are EEs the only kind with green legs? I went back out and counted, and have a total of 8 with green legs (5 are the white-speckly ones in the pics; there are 3 brownish ones as well.)

So 8 EEs in a heavy mix?

Back
Top Bottom