xEmpath

Hatching
Feb 6, 2022
I adopted some chickens and added them to my tiny flock .. I didn’t realize all the ways chickens could get sick . Recently I lost my Handsome boy, my rooster. I noticed that all of my hens have sour crop .. I was able to help one with just water and oil .. massaging . But now I see it’s the entire flock . Some are still scared of me ! Is there a way I can treat the whole flock? I’m so stressed . 😩 ps I live in an area where finding a vet for chickens is nearly impossible. Please help.

Please read through my article on how to identify the type of crop disorder you're dealing with. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ It's short, won't take you long.

For a whole flock to get sour crop, they may be getting something moldy to eat. First job is to try to identify the source of the moldy substance. Damp feed? Moldy fodder? Moldy fruit or vegetables? Whatever it is, remove it all, every bit.

What is your city, state and country? Is it summer there? Do the chickens gorge on long grass stems? They may have impacted crop with sour crop thrown in for good measure.

Do your chickens have access to grit? Do you understand the role of grit in a chicken's diet? Without adequate grit, chickens cannot digest food and their crops get clogged. They can die from it.

Reaad my article, then come back and we'll try to come up with a treatment plan for you flock. Hopefully, we can catch this in time to save the rest.

Our girl recently got Sour Crop. Immediately treated her with a pearl sized dose of Monistat 7 orally 2x a day for 4 days, and 1x a day for 3 more days. She recovered well and is back to her normal self.
I bought the tube of medication and filled a syringe (that came with children's medicine), wrapped her in a towel and flipped her on her back. It's much easier to feed her by mouth. Hope this helps!!!

Attachments

• 20220123_120647.jpg
    20220123_120647.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 3
Please read through my article on how to identify the type of crop disorder you're dealing with. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ It's short, won't take you long.

For a whole flock to get sour crop, they may be getting something moldy to eat. First job is to try to identify the source of the moldy substance. Damp feed? Moldy fodder? Moldy fruit or vegetables? Whatever it is, remove it all, every bit.

What is your city, state and country? Is it summer there? Do the chickens gorge on long grass stems? They may have impacted crop with sour crop thrown in for good measure.

Do your chickens have access to grit? Do you understand the role of grit in a chicken's diet? Without adequate grit, chickens cannot digest food and their crops get clogged. They can die from it.

Reaad my article, then come back and we'll try to come up with a treatment plan for you flock. Hopefully, we can catch this in time to save the rest.
I think mine ate moldy hay so I treated her and removed the hay and cleaned the coop. Everyone is doing great now

Back
Top Bottom