HELP! STEPPED ON CHICKEN, BLEEDING FROM MOUTH!

4yearsofchickens

Songster
Sep 22, 2020
South Central Pennsylvania
Before you say anything, I already feel like an absolute idiot...I was putting up the electrical cord for my water bucket and when I stepped off the ladder I was using...I stepped onto a chicken! It squawked so I didn't fully crush it but I think I heard a pop. It got up and is running around and talking fine but there is blood coming from (I think) its mouth because blood is splattered everywhere it pecks. I tried to look it over for injuries but I didn't see any, so I'm afraid it's bleeding internally! Is there anything I can do? It's still acting fine. If you ask for pics there really isn't anything to take a pic of bc it looks fine on the outside but I still can 🤷‍♀️ Also I'm leaving tomorrow and my parents are coming to watch them so I can't reasonably separate it.

There isn't much you can do.
Why do you think blood is coming from it's mouth?
Can you not make sure?

I would isolate her in a crate and observe.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

There isn't much you can do.
Why do you think blood is coming from it's mouth?
Can you not make sure?
I was afraid of that. I can't make certain because it's hard to catch it, and when I hold it, it isn't dripping out. But I watched her take a drink from my hanging waterer and afterwards there was fresh blood smeared on the side of the waterer.

Last edited:
I would isolate her in a crate and observe.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
That is what I would normally do but like I said I leave tomorrow and my parents won't want to mess with all that.

Okay I will. Is there any chance she'll be okay? I feel awful!:he:barnie:fl
No reason to beat yourself up, just be more careful next time. :)

If she did pop something internally.. it may take a couple days to present as lethargy.. How long are you gone for?

Honestly, stepping on and injuring a chicken that would be best euthanized was one of my biggest fears. I'm thankful for my acquired harvest skills now as I no longer fear causing more suffering if one of my feathered friends gets in trouble.

I was afraid of that. I can't make certain because it's hard to catch it, and when I hold it, it isn't dripping out. But I watched her take a drink from my hanging waterer and afterwards there was fresh blood smeared on the side of the waterer.
Drinking is good.

Separation for observation while you're still home (at least) was a wise suggestion. You monitor intake and output.. to see if the bird has odd droppings or loss of appetite indicating cause for further concern.

I don't worry myself about a blood smear aside from identifying the source. But if it appears to be clotting as it should and not actively still bleeding.. then the body's working as it should.

At this point.. I might also leave her be.. OR inspect her again after dark just out of curiosity.

100% yes there is a CHANCE she will fine! :fl

Back
Top Bottom