Help! Suspect it's eye problem

Learning101

In the Brooder
May 10, 2022
Help needed. I suspect there's something wrong with the eyes area. There isn't any clear line between the beak and the head. Unlike the normal pictures shown in the internet. Overall everything looks fine. Embeded in the first and second picture are both the left and right side of the head and the last picture was taken while he's napping. As you can see the red spot wasn't too invasive at that time. I feed him cabbage mix with oat, cucumber, tomotoes and generic feed from the pet shop. Occasionally he will have snails and fruits such as banana, mangoes, honeydew and apples as treats. The eyes look a bit sunken. He doesn't show any sign of lethargic and is as enegertic as ever.

image_67173377.JPG
IMG_7536.jpg
IMG_7452.jpg

Last edited:
It just looks like a regular Muscovy caruncle's. They tend to go all over a those breed of "ducks" face. Fun Fact: Muscovy ducks are actually more closely related to geese and swans than ducks, hence why they also take longer in the incubator.

EDIT: ( I've owned Muscovy's and they'll look a little creepy at first but they'll be great pets. They might get a little aggressive around mating season, though. )

Last edited:
Thank you for your post. Now everything makes sense. If it wasn't for your post, I may still not know the species of my duck. This sweeties came to our house uninvited. We suspected he was left abandoned on the street. Since then, he has become part of the family members.

Thank you for your post. Now everything makes sense. If it wasn't for your post, I may still not know the species of my duck. This sweeties came to our house uninvited. We suspected he was left abandoned on the street. Since then, he has become part of the family members.
He is a muscovy duck. Muscovy drakes develop caruncles in ducky adolscence [6-9 months] and the caruncles carry on growing until about a year old. Your boy looks about 6 months old in the photo. The "blob" more commonly known as a knob, is the male muscovy pride and joy!!! The caruncles grow from the beak upto and round the eyes. Your boy is a handsome boy!

The photo on the left is of a 9 month old female muscovy. Max. Her knob is much smaller and her caruncles not so developed. The photo on the right is of a 9 month old male muscovy, Daffy, move vividly colored caruncles and much larger knob.

Attachments

• Max.jpg
    Max.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Daffy.jpg
    Daffy.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 3
@ Learning101, I am so happy that you adopted your boy and that he has become a member of your family! the food you described in your original post, is good enrichment for a duck diet. However, your boy will be much healthier if you can buy him duck pellets. Ducks need a good balance of whole grains, minerals and vitamins. The best way to provide the balanced diet is with commercial duck food.

I look forward to seeing you in this forum in the future!

Last edited:
I am concerned about my 2 muscovy ducklings (now about 6 weeks) because they have black skin lesions on the inside corners of their eyes and above their beaks. I've been watching feathers grow in and indeed the beaks changing but this looks more like a black fungal disease. These pics are not the best, as the one without the brown head spot has it worse and started first in getting it. Could this be (as it started at the change) some kind of reaction to the new chicken waterer that may not allow them to get their entire beaks in the water? Before I was using deep plastic cups (pain to change them 4 times daily) that they literally emerged most of their heads into. The duckling in front in the second pic is the one I refer to as first to show this and she/he is camera shy or I'd get a front on view.

Attachments

• P1010171.JPG
    P1010171.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010172.JPG
    P1010172.JPG
    426.7 KB · Views: 1
Is the container in the picture their waterer? That looks like it would be deep enough to get their whole face washed out.
I can't really tell what that is in the corner of their eyes. Their eyes look clear though no drainage.

Is the container in the picture their waterer? That looks like it would be deep enough to get their whole face washed out.
I can't really tell what that is in the corner of their eyes. Their eyes look clear though no drainage.
No. That is their outside (in a dog crate) swimming pool but they spend about half their day inside on my porch in a smaller (kiddy pool) enclosure, as the run and coop is not finished yet. The eyes do look clear but there is this black stuff near the inside eye corner. Same it seems as the black up higher at the top of their beaks. I will try to get a better picture tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom