Help! They won't eat pellets!

Sillz

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
Expat Aussie In Seattle
Last weekend we changed our chicken feed from crumbles to pellets. Since then they have not eaten them. Everyone keeps telling me they will eat if they get hungry enough, but it doesn't seem to be working. One of them will eat a little of it if I break it up in my hand but the other two flat out refuse to go near it. I'm out of crumbles and just opened a big new bag of pellets that I don't want to waste. Help!

Have you tried crushing the pellets up to see if they'll eat it?

I have tried crumbling them in my hand but only one of them will eat that and even then it's not a true attempt to eat much. I will try the dampening option and see if that works. I'm assuming that in the meantime we should cut off other forms of food like veggies/bread/mealworms until they start eating? Should I also not let them out to forage until they eat as well?

They will eat them eventually, I would cut out all snacks but probably still let them out to forage, you could dampen a few so they get used to the taste, if you were to keep them locked in the run with just the pellets I am sure you will see them eat them just don't cave in to the pressure and offer them something else!

Back
Top Bottom