Getting chickens to eat pellets....

Areyoucluckingme

Chirping
Jun 14, 2022
I just purchased 100 pounds of organic chicken feed on sale and chickens don't like the pellets. :duc I've tried many times to switch them to pellets because i think they are neater, no powder and are sometimes cheaper. They will eat them if i soak them first but that isn't always possible, such as if I go on vacation and have someone coming to feed or in the winter when it's -20

I know some brands have larger pellets than others and i can see how if they are too big, the chickens struggle but these pellets are actually pretty small. Any tips? Will they adjust eventually when they get hungry enough? The brand is Modesto Milling

Gotta say my flock didn't like Modesto Milling pellets either (I was using grower pellets) - though IMO they are on the larger side. I think I fed it for about 6 months and they never ever liked it so I finally gave up and put them back on their old pelleted layer feed.

I have tried several times to switch from crumbles to pellets, over the course of a couple years. Each attempt was with a different brand of pellets. They would eat the new pellets for a few days, then they proceed to starve themselves. They even turned their beaks up at soaked pellets Every time I've attempted to switch, I gave up after several weeks of me not needing to fill the feeder because they were barely eating.

I have accepted the fact that they are crumble eating chickens (or that they have more will power than I do.). I save what ever crushed crumbles/powder for making mash.

I have tried several times to switch from crumbles to pellets, over the course of a couple years. Each attempt was with a different brand of pellets. They would eat the new pellets for a few days, then they proceed to starve themselves. They even turned their beaks up at soaked pellets Every time I've attempted to switch, I gave up after several weeks of me not needing to fill the feeder because they were barely eating.

I have accepted the fact that they are crumble eating chickens (or that they have more will power than I do.). I save what ever crushed crumbles/powder for making mash.
My chickens are doing the same. They are starving themselves rather than eating the pellets. I usually give them scratch more as something to do than food, but they will come at it like they are starving because they are. I think it's affecting their egg laying too. They only lay every other day. When are they going to eat if I give them nothing? They've ate all the grass in the yard. I'm thinking about grinding the pellets in a blender to make it easier. I don't know.

When I got Rex, my rooster, he wasn't eating. He would follow my hen and learned how to forage, but he is big and needed chicken food. I put a little garlic powder on the feed and he gobbled it right up. Now, he runs to the food dish.

When I got Rex, my rooster, he wasn't eating. He would follow my hen and learned how to forage, but he is big and needed chicken food. I put a little garlic powder on the feed and he gobbled it right up. Now, he runs to the food dish.
Hey, is Garlic powder not damgerous? Cause i really want to try this to my own chicken

Do you think i could try this with my chicken too? It is a bit younger, maybe around 3-5 months.

Back
Top Bottom