Help! They're picking on Betty & plucking out her feathers!

telehillco

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 15, 2009
Front Range, CO
I'm not sure what to do. We have a flock of 4 chickens (2 RIR's, one Buff Orpington and the prettiest Barred Rock, Betty). Betty began losing feathers about a month ago, but unlike the RIR's when they molted, there were not a lot of black and white feathers lying around. We've now witnessed that all three of the other girls have been picking on Betty and pulling out (and eating it seems) her feathers. They've pulled feathers from her butt, from her shoulders and from the back base of her neck. So far we haven't noticed any bleeding so they don't seem to be hurting her, but she looks so sad and pathetic!

I've read posts that say to isolate the offender, but it's all three other girls. They get to free-range in the yard during the day so have access to that as well as their regular layer feed. We also tried spraying Betty's bare areas with a Blu Kote kind of spray, but that doesn't seem to do anything except impart a pretty blue feathery pattern on Betty's eggs and occasionally show an offender by her blue beak. Betty is still laying regularly, so the stress hasn't gotten to her too badly yet, but it's gotten to me!!! The feather pulling may have started during a cold snap when they were cooped up together more, but the weather's been fine lately and the snow melted off the grass, so they've all been out and about.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome. We do have a neighbor with two chickens that offered to adopt Betty if need be, but since she's my favorite, I don't want to send her off (and don't want her to have to integrate in a new flock!).

Thanks!

Hillary

Could you put one of those rooster guard jackets on her? Maybe sew something with velcro
so you could get a snug fit? Draw two big scary eyes on the outfit, might scare other hens away
and hawks????

Sounds like they arent getting enough protein. Feather picking and eating is a sign of this. Try boosting their protein with some boss, yogurt, leftover meat, etc. and see what happens.

I've never tried these before, but maybe you could get some pinless peepers for your three girls.
hu.gif

Peepers are little blinders that fit over the beak, they don't cause the bird wearing it any pain or harm. They can still see to eat, but they can't focus their eyes in front enough to focus on a flockmate's feather and pick it out.

Someone else on here might be able to describe these things better than I can, so please do!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom