Help!!! Three day old duckling can’t walk.

Achaiawilson

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2021
We have two baby duckling who were abandoned the day they started hatching. They were in cold eggs for a little while so we helped them hatch. One little duckling seems to be having trouble walking. The poor little things eats and drinks fine and can even swim but can’t seem to walk. We give them Purina flock raiser plus probiotics and electrolytes water everyday. Any idea on what to do next?
image.jpg

What is the temperature in the ducklings housing area? In the picture, it appears cold and is trying to maintain body heat.

Have you thoroughly inspected the duckling, checking it's legs for any angulation, discoloration, swelling, lesions, or fusion of the joints? If you gently bend its leg joints, do you hear any clicking?

If the duckling is trying to walk, could you post a video of that?

The temperature is what it’s supposed to be, we have a heat lamp 20 inches above their enclosure. And yes I’ve checked everything, nothing appears to be hurt. He does hold his left leg up but nothing feels wrong. I can’t get the video to upload but this is how the poor thing stands and hops around but can swim perfectly fine. I’m almost positive that he has a niacin deficiency but I’m not sure which would be best to give him poly vi sol, brewers yeast, or liquid vitamin B3.
4BEF1288-9CAC-4FF6-8737-CD0700F38833.jpeg
[/ICODE]

Last edited:
The temperature is what it’s supposed to be, we have a heat lamp 20 inches above their enclosure. And yes I’ve checked everything, nothing appears to be hurt. He does hold his left leg up but nothing feels wrong. I can’t get the video to upload but this is how the poor thing stands and hops around but can swim perfectly fine. I’m almost positive that he has a niacin deficiency but I’m not sure which would be best to give him poly vi sol, brewers yeast, or liquid vitamin B3.

What is the exact temperature, do you know?

At this age, a niacin deficiency is unlikely; the condition itself tends to occur when birds are in growing age where nutrients are at their highest demand. Leg problems in ducklings are likely to be associated with trauma, musculoskeletal deformities, and some mineral/vitamin deficiencies. If you wish to start vitamin supplementation, Poly-Vi-Sol without iron would be good; as would Nutri-Dench, or Sav-A-Chick.

To post a video, upload it to a video platform such as youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

No I’m not sure the what the exact temperature is, but they have been on sav-a-chick for about two days and he a little more energy but he still can’t walk. The day they started hatching, which was Friday, the mother decided to not set anymore and they were in cold eggs for a little bit before we took them and helped them out, could that have something to do with it?

What is the exact temperature, do you know?

At this age, a niacin deficiency is unlikely; the condition itself tends to occur when birds are in growing age where nutrients are at their highest demand. Leg problems in ducklings are likely to be associated with trauma, musculoskeletal deformities, and some mineral/vitamin deficiencies. If you wish to start vitamin supplementation, Poly-Vi-Sol without iron would be good; as would Nutri-Dench, or Sav-A-Chick.

To post a video, upload it to a video platform such as youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.
Thought I’d give an update, after just one drop of Poly Vi Sol without iron the little guy is already walking.

Back
Top Bottom